Chapter 12: When it All Begins

Copyright © 2020, Nikki B. Lourie if you are reading this work on any other domain than Wattpad, it has been plagiarized.

"And he's been sleeping in her room every night, but yet nothing is happening. Isn't that frustrating? I mean, you'd think by now that they'd officially start dating, right Carl?"

"Lana, once again it's Dr. Chase," he reminded her for what felt like the umpteenth time.

"Apples and pears," Lana mumbled, waving him off.

"Lana, I'm your cardiologist. Why are you trying to make me your son's matchmaker?"

Lana dropped her head back on the patient's table and heaved a sigh. She was only venting, but if he had given some useful information, she would have taken it. It's been three weeks since Janessa revealed that they had kissed yet nothing. Nada. Zilch. She was ready to step in and give them a nice big shove.

"I'm beginning to think that all of this is hopeless. I know that Janessa likes my son and I can tell that Leslie is attracted to her too. I mean, he tries to change the subject, but a mother knows her own child."

"Lana, we're supposed to be talking about your results," Dr. Chase attempted to remind her.

"Oh, I already know what you're about to say. I'm still dying. What? Did my time shorten? Do I have only two months now?"

Dr. Chase pushed his silver hair out of his face and sighed. He dropped his glasses down beside his clipboard and eyed his friend. "You're supposed to be resting. With what time you have left—"

"I should be securing Leslie's future. Carl, you don't see the way they look at each other. I can't die and leave them in suspended animation like this. My baby needs to love again and that poor, sweet Janessa needs to be shown real love."

"Lana—"

"Do you know what he told me after I got out of the hospital? He told me that he wanted his sight back. My baby, who is terrified of hospitals, cried in my arms and told me how useless he felt, how no one would love him, how he would be better if he could see. I need more time. I can't possibly leave him like this. At least with Janessa, I know that they would love each other. She doesn't care if he's blind or not. She's just full of joy and love and goodness. I...I need more time."

Dr. Chase leaned forward, his voice dropping to a hushed whisper. "Lana, I already know what you're thinking. The surgery is too risky. Your heart is failing now because your white blood cells are rejecting it—and that's just one of many complications. Your own body is slowly killing you. There is no guarantee that you will survive another surgery."

"But it's a risk I'm willing to take," Lana insisted, sitting up suddenly. "I will do anything for my child, but I won't leave him alone and feeling useless and loveless. I promise that I'll die once they fall in love. I don't need to see them get married. I don't even need to see my own grandchild, but I need to know that my baby will be all right once I'm gone."

"Damn it, Lana!" Carl wiped away tears from his eyes. He looked off into the distance in an attempt to steady his emotions. "I've known you for years. I practically watched Leslie grow up and I understand how you feel, but this would be reckless. I don't want to put you in any further danger."

"I'm already dying," Lana reminded him. "What's another risk here or there?"

"But Lana!"

"I want you to put my name back on the transplant list."

Carl stood up in shock. "That's not how it works. You know it could take months or even years for someone to be selected."

"I'm believing in miracles. Put my name back on the list," Lana insisted. "I'm not dying until those two children become a couple. And I'm not talking about just any kind of couple. I'm talking head over heels in love with each other couple. Right. Right?"