Chapter 8: When Competition Arrives

Copyright © 2020, Nikki B. Lourie if you are reading this work on any other domain than Wattpad, it has been plagiarized. 

"I think I got it," Janessa stated, chomping down on a buttermilk biscuit. "This is so good," she deviated.

"Someone, please help!" Leslie whined, doing his signature eye roll.

"Your eyes are going to get stuck in the back of your head," Lana jeered. As usual, she was watching the duo's interaction while trying her hardest not to smile.

"Beauty, if you don't hurry up before the turn of the century..."

"Sorry," Janessa chortled, swallowing the food in her mouth. "Lana's biscuits are amazing. You have to teach me how to make these."

She leaned forward eagerly at Janessa's praise, her cheeks tinging red. "Really? I'd love to! It's an old recipe—"

"I'm going to bed," Leslie caved, tired of waiting for Janessa to stop deviating from the subject.

"No! Okay, okay, all right! We're holding interviews at nine-thirty tomorrow morning for the new chef which is supposed to last until noon. At twelve-thirty you have an appointment at the tailor's to update your wardrobe. At one-fifteen, you have a lunch meeting with Susan Babachakacha—"

"You might as well work in a meat factory the way you just butchered that poor woman's name. It's Susan Bapashaka," he corrected with a squint in her direction.

Janessa huffed back, failing to hide her pout as she glared at him. She reminded herself that there was no need to continue their current staring contest because...he was blind! "I swear I'll remember one day," she muttered to herself.

"Say it with me," Leslie stated. "Ba-pa-sha-ka," he enunciated.

"Babachakacha!"

"No!"

Lana choked on her beverage, fighting her hardest not to laugh, but it was a losing battle. She needed to start recording them. This was comedy gold. "I'm sorry," she wheezed when he grimaced in her direction.

"Don't follow her up. It's like she's mispronouncing the name on purpose!" He stood to his feet indignantly.

"Don't leave, Leslie! Give me another shot," Janessa called after him, snickering when he waved her off.

"For the sake of my sanity, I have to get out of here."

She and Lana shared a look before they burst into laughter. "Just ignore him. The mispronunciation of someone's name is a pet peeve for him."

"I wasn't doing it on purpose. I'll get it right by tomorrow. It would be rude and unprofessional of me to butcher it in her face." She helped Lana clear the table and pack the dishwasher before heading back to her room. Her footsteps slowed as she approached his doorway. His door was ajar and she could see him ambling about with his shirt off. Why was he so ripped?

She looked down at her own soft stomach and sighed. She was happy with her size, but she wanted to have a little more muscle definition. She loved seeing a muscular woman. They often oozed confidence and no one ever dared to mess with them. She had been catcalled so much, she had told herself to get some mace. It wasn't flattering.

Realizing she was staring, she continued on to her room before she was caught. She took another shower happy to have lingerie to wear and body lotion to use. She said her nightly prayers and read a few chapters from the book of Job before fluffing her pillows and laying on her back. She should definitely braid her hair, but she wasn't in the mood. She was ready for sleep and her arms felt too tired from carrying all of those shopping bags and baskets of laundry.