Chapter 19: Overcoming Fear

Copyright © 2020, Nikki B. Lourie if you are reading this work on any other domain than Wattpad, it has been plagiarized. 

"This is for the birds," Janessa wheezed, gripping the railings on the stair master five-thousand while her face pressed against the control panel. It had barely been close to fifteen minutes yet her heart was hammering as if she had been training for the 100-meter dash. The boys had told her that with time her body would get used to the exertion. Well, it had already been nearly three months and here she was, hunched over, drenched in sweat, barely able to take a full breath, and still doubtful of her progress.

Prying her somewhat limp figure off of the exercise machine, she gingerly descended the steps, her weak legs wobbling as she touched the firm ground. Even with them skipping workout days, her body was still sore. When would she really get used to this? On television, it was easy—sexy even, but nothing about this was easy or sexy. She smelled like what the hunchback of Notre Dame looked like. She knew she was walking like a cowboy, and she didn't want to think about what she looked like to others.

The only thing stopping her from throwing in the towel was her pride. Leslie and Raymond enjoyed her petty complaints. Of course, they encouraged her, but they always did so after teasing her until her cheeks ran hot. She didn't mind it, but sometimes she would play out scenarios in her mind where she had witty comebacks for their mocking. She always had something good to say after they had walked away.

"You're doing much better," Raymond praised, startling her.

"Whatever. Just let me have it already," she rolled her eyes, accepting a towel from his outstretched hand which she used to mop up her sweat.

"I'm serious! What was that? Twenty minutes this time? I can't even go five," he confessed.

"It was barely fifteen," Janessa corrected, following him to the water fountain to fill their empty bottles.

"Like I said, I can hardly do five. Now, get me on the treadmill and I can run laps around Sonic the Hedgehog," he chuckled.

"Don't get me started on the treadmill." Their eyes tracked Leslie who was busily doing weighted lunges. Janessa tried not to openly drool as she watched his rippling legs flex under the strain. Janessa surmised that she enjoyed watching Leslie workout more than she did cardio.

"Ready to lift some weights?" Raymond smirked after pretending to wipe away drool from her mouth.

"I will bite you," she quipped back, pretending to bite at him as he jogged off in Leslie's direction. "Whimp!"

"You know," she heard from behind her. "I always thought you were fun."

Janessa spun about like a deer in headlights. When had he appeared and how had she not heard him? Even with the gym music in the background, it wasn't loud enough this late at night to smother his steps. Her creeper alert was ringing, but her social awkwardness left her unable to find a way out of this conversation. "Thanks?"

"Don't mention it. I've been checking you out for a while now. Name's Brock," he introduced, stretching out a sweaty looking hand.

Janessa tried to school her face as she begrudgingly accepted his handshake. "I'm Jay," she replied not wanting to give him her full name.

"Nice to finally meet you, Jay. I've been looking forward to this day. Do you want to go out with me sometime?"

"What did he say?" she mumbled to herself as she thought of an excuse. She could tell him that she had a boyfriend, but ever since their ruined date things between her and Leslie felt kind of up in the air. She knew they were still getting closer, but there seemed to be some sort of emotional blockage. She didn't know if he was drawing away because of his mother or if he was slowly losing interest.