Chapter 21: A Step Closer to Forever

Copyright © 2020, Nikki B. Lourie if you are reading this work on any other domain than Wattpad, it has been plagiarized. 

Leslie's stomach gurgled loudly into the silent room. It wasn't hunger pangs eating away at him. it was nervousness and fear. Since speaking with Janessa's parents, his nerves had been haywire. The devil was in the details when it came to creating special memories, but something always seemed to go wrong when Leslie planned. Besides, he wanted the proposal to occur naturally. And he doubted covering his mother's hospital room with flowers would send the correct message.

If anything, Janessa might think they were condolence flowers because she had passed away. Leslie shivered thinking about it. What could he do to make such a moment beautiful for her? Perhaps he should propose to her in a more intimate setting? He could always hide the ring box beneath her pillow and hope that she happened upon it. Knowing Janessa, she might actually fall asleep on it without realizing what was happening.

"You're getting in your head again," Raymond reminded him, guiding him by the arm toward another ring counter.

"What if I muck it up? What if—"

"Not saying that you should do this, but you could give Janessa the ring and simply say we're getting married and she will absolutely gush. That's how in love she is with you."

"You know I couldn't do that," Leslie chastised his friend.

"That's why I said I wasn't telling you to do it. It was a bad example but still an example."

"Okay fellas, you said money was not an issue so I'm back with some of our more upscale pieces. Had to get these out of the safe," Raymond's friend, Jordan informed them.

"Good looking out, Red."

"Can you please not call me Red at work," he frowned at his friend, pushing the row of rings closer to the duo.

"Sorry, Jordan," Raymond rightfully apologized. "Thank you for working with us."

"No worries, my man, you know I got you. Now, take a look at these," he said, gently guiding Leslie's hands toward the mobile jewelry case.

"If you don't find your ring here..."

"We'll find it," Leslie stated encouragingly. "A woman like Janessa deserves only the best. Jordan said these were from the vault which means they're the best of his best." Bushy eyebrows knit together as he painstakingly danced his fingers over every diamond and crevice of the engagement bands before him.

Raymond waited with bated breath as his friend cleared the first two rows before his fingers halted. "Is this the one?"

"It's the one," Leslie declared with a joyful laugh. "It's beautiful just like her. Please, Raymond, describe it to me."

Raymond and Jordan smiled at each other watching Leslie carefully lift the ring from its holder. "It's a three-carat aurora style twisting cushion rose gold wedding band."

Leslie smiled softly, "What does that mean?"

"It's perfect for Janessa. You know how she loves Disney princess movies?" Leslie nodded eagerly. She had made him sit through enough for him to start detesting them. "Well, the aurora style sort of looks like a princess tiara with three large diamonds on the top of the tiara. The band itself looks like two rose gold branches intertwining with smaller diamonds embedded in them. She will love it. Do you like it?"

"I love it," Leslie nodded once more. Retrieving his wallet, he withdrew his bank card and handed it over to Jordan. "I'll take it."

"I'll give you a nice discount," Jordan told him with a huge grin.