Chapter 11: The Law of Attraction

Copyright © 2020, Nikki B. Lourie if you are reading this work on any other domain than Wattpad, it has been plagiarized. 

"Mother, if you'd only sit down and let me help you!"

"Leslie, you're driving me mad. I can put on my own shoes. Please, stop fawning all over me," Lana complained, looking around for Janessa. She had asked her to make her some tea and Leslie had swooped in while she had stepped out. She knew that he wanted to help, but her doctor had cleared her. She was fine to move about and fend for herself.

"Stop pouting." She patted the spot beside her and waited for him to take the hint to sit down. "I know you're worried and you want to help me, but I'm all right. I promise you I'll let you know if anything changes."

Leslie continued pouting at the floor. His cane tapped her rug restlessly as he too awaited Janessa's return. "So it's fine if she sees about you, but I can't?"

"You literally just got back from an interview. You haven't changed out of your suit and you're breathing down my neck. At least Janessa slipped on some sweatpants and a tank top." She smiled when the corners of his lips turned up. His facial features softened at the mention of his assistant which greatly pleased Lana. She wasn't sure what happened while she was hospitalized, but she could tell that the two of them had gotten closer.

"So..."

"Yes?" He squinted his eyes suspiciously causing her to hoot with laughter.

"What? I haven't even said anything yet."

Leslie bit his bottom lip waiting for his mother to settle back down. He could tell from that one little word that she was going to be nosy and pry about something. He just didn't know what. "I heard it in your tone."

"Oh hush your butt." She playfully swatted his arm, giggling when he feigned injury. "Tell me something good," she tried again.

He sat up, resting his cane against the side of her bed, his arms stretching back behind him as he really became comfortable. He thought for a couple of minutes before settling on something interesting to say. "Beauty made me become friends with Raymond," he finally confessed.

"That's wonderful!" Lana clapped. She was excited although that wasn't the gossip she was looking for. She wanted something more on the romantic level between the two youngsters. She wished for them to become an item. It would be a dream come true if they fell in love and had a child. Hell, she would be over the moon if she learned that Janessa was pregnant before she died. She wanted a beautiful grandbaby. She wanted Leslie to know the joys of fatherhood...and the unexpected pains thereof.

"Wonderful my eye."

"Don't be that way. Raymond is nice. And he is very talented in the kitchen. That man can cook me under the table. Not to mention he's funny," she praised unaware that her child was becoming jealous.

"And he's tall, and he's handsome, and he has a nice deep voice that will make women fall all over him," Leslie continued for her. "And he's down to earth, and he's the perfect man any woman would want, and he can see!"

And there it was. His issue with Raymond was laid bare before his mother. Lana studied her son. His cheeks were flustered, his hair tousled from his anxious fingers, and he was bothered. It had been years since her child lamented his eyesight. She had spent so much time encouraging him to get the surgery, but he had remained confident in his blindness. He had truly overcome it all and had adapted to it. He was so adept with his other senses that she forgot that he was blind at times. She wondered what had changed to make him start to look down on himself.