Chapter 7: When Feelings Start Brewing

Copyright © 2020, Nikki B. Lourie if you are reading this work on any other domain than Wattpad, it has been plagiarized. 

"Oh my gosh! This place is huge," Janessa exclaimed. She grabbed Leslie's arm carefully pulling him out of the vehicle. He grumbled his way out the door, standing to his feet and fixing his shirt.

"I'm not some kind of toy. Stop dragging me everywhere." Janessa rolled her eyes, watching him ask the driver to wait for their return in a close parking spot.

"You ready?" She quipped, attempting to tame her excitement before she had an episode. She watched the people milling by, some with their eyes stuck to their phones, others rushing to the entrance, but they all looked in their element. She wanted to be in her element too.

"Take my arm," she offered, holding it out until it touched his side.

"And look blind?"

Her eyes assessed the sky and their surroundings before squinting at him. "Are you...are you not blind? I mean, you've already told me more than once that you are even if I do doubt it at times, but aren't you blind?"

He growled, crossing his arms, his lips puckered in disapproval. "You know exactly what I mean, Beauty. I might as well grab a pair of dark sunglasses and my cane and let my head bobble from side to side while you lead me around like some sort of cliché. No thank you."

She snorted, fighting back a smile. She did understand though. He always appeared so confident, she would have never suspected that he was self-conscious about his impairment. She definitely could relate to him. "Then take my hand."

"So you can feel me up? I know you've been checking me out. You told me so the other night."

Her head fell back as she hooted. "I am not after your body, no matter how attractive you are."

Heat accosted his cheeks as he tried ignoring her compliment. "Well, if you'll behave yourself, I think we can get away with holding hands," he mumbled still listening to her laugh. It was a pleasant sound that he wouldn't mind hearing again. So smooth, almost slippery and soft, her left hand melted into his right. His heart jigged in his chest from the contact causing him to sharply inhale.

"Are you ready?"

"Yea," he whispered, allowing her to lead him to the entrance.

"It's beautiful out today," Janessa stated, her face tipping back to feel the slightly revealed rays of sunlight. "It's slightly cloudy. The clouds are so fluffy they look like cotton candy placed in the sky."

"What are you doing?" he asked curiously as they got into a nice pace together.

"I'm describing our surroundings. I'm being your eyes," she smiled.

His teeth sunk into his bottom lip as he nodded. No one had ever taken time to do what Janessa was doing. It was strange for him, but he liked it. Her soft voice was animated and for once since he lost his sight, he felt as if he could really see.

"Hold on tight to my hand. We're getting into a large crowd, I think this is the food court entrance. Are you hungry?"

"Not yet. Do you know where you want to go and what you're looking for style-wise?"

"Nope," she happily confessed, their hands swinging between them.

"Well, just take your time. We have all day."

Janessa couldn't have been happier. She was mindful of her pace, making sure that they kept it leisurely so that he wouldn't fall or run into other people. Every once in a while he would cluck as if he didn't trust her guidance. But he had decided not to bring his walking stick. She continued her play-by-play for him as they went to different stores. He purchased her clothing in spite of her disapproval and was very active in her selections.