Chapter 16: Making Proper Changes

Copyright © 2020, Nikki B. Lourie if you are reading this work on any other domain than Wattpad, it has been plagiarized.

"I need someone to tell me what is going on," Dolin demanded while cradling her child in her arms. Hurried footsteps approached as nurses stopped in front of the security guards.

"You found her."

"What is going on?"

"Dr. Iro, we're sorry to have disturbed you, but that patient suddenly ran out of her room," one of the nurses explained. "She's somewhat delirious."

Dolin looked at her group of residents and pointed to two strapping young men. "Follow nurse Suzy and take my daughter back to her room. I'm right behind you." They stepped forward cautiously, leaning down to lift her daughter. Every so often they would watch her reaction from the corner of their eyes as if she would scold them. She was known to be a hard ass and the last thing they wanted to do was offend her somehow when she had entrusted them with her child.

Turning to the nurse who initially spoke to her she demanded answers, "Marley, what do you mean she's delirious. Tell me everything you know."

"Hey, Iro, what's going on?"

Dolin temporarily ignored her fellow coworker as she focused on the Texan redhead. "Give me a minute, Walker. Marley?"

Nurse Marley started fidgeting with her scrubs as she began putting the pieces together. She thought that the patient was rambling because of her mild concussion and her recent trauma. She had no idea, her mother was in fact one of R & R Hospital's top neurosurgeons. "I'm so sorry, Dr. Iro. Your daughter—"

"Janessa," Dolin provided.

"Janessa arrived with two other victims. One was a homeless man and the other was a young man with a stab wound. I was told by paramedics and officers that they were out on a date when they saw two gentlemen assaulting a homeless man. Janessa rushed in to help him and her boyfriend rushed after her to protect her. He was stabbed and barely clinging to consciousness, but he was able to keep them distracted until the cops arrived."

"Oh my gosh," Dolin stated, her hand covering her mouth in shock.

"Because he was losing so much blood, your daughter offered a transfusion. When they arrived at the hospital, we hooked her up to an IV and rushed the young man and the homeless man off to surgery. She was unconscious when we last checked her, but when I went back to see if she was awake, I found her on the floor in a pool of blood. It appears she was weak from the transfusion and tried to walk out of the room and ended up collapsing and hitting her head. Nurse Jody and I bandaged her up and cleaned up the room and left her to rest," Marley continued, getting even more nervous at what she was about to say.

"I checked on her again and found her trying to leave the room and she was rambling about needing to find her mother. We noted that she had a mild concussion so I thought it was nonsense and got her back in bed to rest. We still didn't know who she was or who to contact, so I went to get someone from hospital registration to get her checked in and to update the police officers waiting on her statement. When I got back I found her missing and put out a code yellow. I'm so sorry, Dr. Iro."

Dolin nodded her head in understanding. It was an honest mistake. They continued walking down the hall following the two residents with her daughter. She wasn't aware that the other eight residents were following also and intently listening to the case. "What happened to the homeless man?"

Marley shook her head, her bright eyes drooped to the ground as she sighed, "His wounds were too extensive. He had a lot of internal bleeding, six broken ribs, not to mention he was already old. He died."