Chapter 18: A Little Problem Solving

Copyright © 2020, Nikki B. Lourie if you are reading this work on any other domain than Wattpad, it has been plagiarized.

Sweaty palms, a thundering heart, and dizziness were only a few of the symptoms Leslie was currently experiencing. It had been a month since his mother's surgery and she was placed into an induced coma and he had been released from the hospital. Janessa and Raymond had happily welcomed him home and they had tried to keep his mind off of his mother. But whenever one of them left to visit her and his thoughts reminded him of her absence, Leslie knew he couldn't go on without being with her. His phobia of hospitals was truly real. He thought that he had an intense aversion to the establishment, but merely stepping on the sidewalk in front of the door was enough to cover him in a cold sweat.

Janessa had been very understanding and never pushed for him to go beyond his limit, but he knew there would be a time when he would have to step over the threshold. If he had not been unconscious during his own brief stint in the hospital, he would have most likely had a panic attack. He wanted to do this for his mother's sake and for his own.

"It's okay, Leslie, we can stop here," Janessa encouraged, witnessing his legs visibly tremble. He hugged the door like a lifeline, whimpering as a wounded animal would after a dangerous fight.

"I-I h-have to g-go inside," he quivered, tears clouding his eyes.

"I know, and you will, you've already done great. Just two weeks ago you couldn't even step on the sidewalk and now you're holding on to the door," Dolin encouraged, gently patting his back.

She had volunteered to come with them after Janessa had called to ask her for advice on his circumstances. She told herself if he passed out, at least she would be of some help and Janessa wouldn't be so stressed. Her heart was aching for him, but this was a struggle he would definitely overcome.

"M-m-my m-mother..."

Dolin gently yet firmly grasped his shoulders and gave a soft squeeze after prying him away from the door. "Lana would understand. She knows you're doing your best just as she is doing her best to come back to you. You can and you will overcome this fear, but it takes time. Leslie, Rome wasn't built in a day."

"I thought that was because they ran out of Red Bull," he attempted to joke, referencing the ridiculous commercial which always seemed to make Janessa laugh.

The ladies smiled at his effort to lighten the mood. It was good that he had enough wherewithal to attempt a joke. Janessa had informed her mother that he had almost passed out during his several attempts. "Let's get you back home. We can do this all over again tomorrow if you want," Janessa told him.

"I-I would like that."

He hugged Janessa tightly and she lifted on tiptoes to stroke his hair soothingly. "You are so brave. I'm very proud of you."

His muscular arms gripped her firmly, her feet floating off of the ground as he cried into her neck. Dolin turned away, giving the youngsters some privacy even though passersby could clearly see their emotional display. "So strong."

"I'll be in the car," Dolin softly muttered, backing away.

Janessa rained tender kisses along his hairline until he was calm and ready to leave. The firm sidewalk welcomed her light feet again and Janessa hugged him one more time before taking his hand and guiding him toward her mother's car. Unlike her mother's usual quiet personality, Dolin provided a steady stream of chatter as she drove them home. She was trying to distract Leslie from his thoughts because she could only surmise that he would blame himself and call himself a failure for not being able to be with his mother.