Chapter 4: Worried Friends & Heat of the Moment

AN HOUR LATER...

Sitting at the table in the dining room as they ate dinner together, Harry feels somewhat on edge. In his defense, can you really blame him, since Liam hasn't stopped staring at him like that; like he actually wants to eat  Harry, as Louis said? And given the fact that Liam's hand hasn't left Harry's knee since they sat and started eating the baked chicken they had prepared together, Harry just couldn't feel as much at ease as he was earlier.

How am I supposed to ask him to leave politely?  he thinks as he tries not to show his discomfort.

Nonetheless, his efforts seem at a loss when Liam squeezes his knee to get his attention when he may have been staring down at his half-empty plate and pushing the food around. When Harry looks up, Liam has a frown on his face to show that he indeed has noticed.

"Something wrong, Hazza?"

"Ah, n- new nickname again?" the culy-haired lad stutters out, then mentally scolds himself for acting like this. Now Liam will know something's really up.

“Well, I kinda just came up with it now, and I can’t really decide which one I prefer calling you: Hazza or Stylesy? Which one do you  like better? Whichever you choose, I’ll call you that from now on; just so you know.”

"… Harry’s fine, actually, but whichever you want,” Harry mutters in reply.

“Then I’ll use them interchangeably; no problem with me as long as you know that’s what I’ll call you,” Liam says brightly, then his smile falters when Harry doesn’t return it. “But seriously, what’s the matter? It’s not the chicken, is it? Cuz I can always bake another one just for you so it’s better than that one.”

Chuckling softly at Liam’s worry, Harry looks up and smiles at him softly. Knowing that Liam is actually worried about what Harry thinks of the chicken is actually… kinda cute and sweet, he admits thoughtfully. Maybe he really isn’t as bad as I thought. He reaches down and takes hold of Liam’s hand to give it a light squeeze to let him know not to worry so much about the meal.

“The chicken’s fine; trust me.”

“But you still look upset and distant. I don’t like it.”

“I'm just... not that hungry, I guess. Sorry. I know you prepared the whole meal with little help from me, but I – “

“No, it’s okay. I’m not that great of a cook; I don’t blame you,” Liam says with a forced smile. “Not that used to cooking a good meal for anyone else, to be honest. Haven’t dated in a while.”

Harry chokes on the food he just started chewing in his mouth and Liam rubs his back and gives him a glass of water. Once he feels fine and not like he was just dying, Harry clears his throat and looks at Liam, making sure to avoid looking in his eyes.

“Um, this – this isn’t one either, remember?”

“I can hope, Harry. All you have to do is accept what I can give you.”

“A- and what is that?” the younger lad asks, gulping nervously as Liam stares at him intensely. He knows he shouldn’t have asked that, but he can’t seem to control what he says. Not with Liam leaning even closer to him like that.

Liam chuckles and takes hold of Harry’s hip to pull him closer. “Absolutely anything  you want.”

~~~

“Lads, I’m worried. Harry won’t answer his phone.”

“Oh my god – Are you still on that? I’m sure he’s fine, Lou. Just let it go and leave him be,” Niall states before gulping down the rest of his drink.