Chapter 21: Trying to Move On

ONE MONTH LATER...

The lads and their girlfriends are currently at Harry's house, ready to watch a movie. Harry, for one, isn't really in the mood to have all his friends at his house. In fact, he hasn't been in the mood for anything since - Well, since Liam left.

Call him lame or whatever, but that's just how he feels. How he still feels since then.

It's been pretty hard to deal with finally coming to terms with his true feelings for Liam. But to know that Liam hasn't been in contact with him or even Jade for the past month is just crushing.

He never knew what it would feel like to have the one person he had wanted gone and out of his life so suddenly. Now that he knows how it feels, he sure regrets it. He regrets taking too long to realize that he's in love with Liam. Maybe has been the whole time, but was too scared to realize what it meant. Too scared of what he knew Liam was capable of to accept and act upon his feelings.

But it's too late. It's been too late for a while now.

"Are we gonna start watching or what?" Louis demands, earning Eleanor pulling at his hair to keep him quiet.

"Harry? Can we start? This is your house, after all," Zayn inquires gently.

"Huh? Oh. Yeah, sure. Just press play."

They all frown at Harry for being too distracted to really focus on what they're doing, but they decide not to ask. They all know Harry's been quite depressed since Liam left. Although the boys kept telling him to move on, Harry just couldn't. He feels too guilty about making Liam feel unwanted and having to leave.

On the other hand, the girls understood and try their best to make Harry feel better. They, too, didn't want him to linger on his feelings for Liam too much, but they didn't want to push him to get over him that quickly. They know it takes time for a heart to heal.

Jade still feels somewhat responsible for letting Liam leave without being able to talk him out of it. She knows just about how Harry feels, and she's been the one Harry talks to the most about this.

"Harry, can you come into the kitchen with me?"

"Okay," he replies, following Jade out of the living room and into the kitchen.

He lets out a breath and closes his eyes after taking a seat on the chair at the table. Jade sighs and sits beside him, putting hand on his knee. When he opens his eyes and looks at her, she gives him a soft smile and gently pats his knee in a comforting way.

"Let's talk, yeah? I know you miss him - I do too. But try enjoying today at least."

"Have you been able to contact him?"

"Not - not yet. But I'll keep trying. I - I'll let you know if I get to talk to him," she responds nervously, avoiding Harry's eyes.

"Yeah. Just - If you do get to talk to him, please tell him I miss him. Tell him that I want him to come back. And that I'm - I'm sorry it took me too long to know how I really felt about him."

"Sure."

Smiling back at her softly, Harry rubs his eyes as he gets up from his seat. "I think I'm gonna have an early night."

"You're not watching the movie with us?"

"Too tired. I'll be fine."

After Harry leaves the kitchen and tells the others he'll be sleeping now, Jade sighs again. She feels awful about lying to Harry, but she had to do it. The truth is, she did manage to contact Liam and had called him, but they didn't talk for very long. Liam was clearly avoiding having such a conversation with Jade or anyone else, really. Especially a certain curly-haired lad.