Chapter 14: Who to Trust & "Welcome Home"

"He said that?" Zayn asks in disbelief.

"Yeah. I don't really get it either, but he somehow has control over them too. So basically, no one can help me," Harry states sadly, running his hands through his hair.

"Well, that just sucks. But what could he have possibly done to have control over the police?" Louis demands.

"Who knows? And besides, it's probably best that we don't know. I mean, based on what he's done to all of us so far, we know for sure that he wants us dead. Well, except Harry, of course, 'cause apparently he really wants you all to himself since he's willing to kill the rest of us off."

"Zayn's right," Harry agrees in defeat, looking down at the ground. "There's really not much we can do against Liam now."

Louis scoffs and tries to sit up on his own, only making him breathless from the effort. Eleanor scolds him softly, but helps him sit up by rearranging the pillows behind him to be more comfortable. He smiles gratefully at her, squeezing her hand before he looks back at Harry sternly. Zayn uses his eyes to somehow warn Louis not to yell at Harry, since they both know he's pretty distressed at the moment about everything.

"Don't talk like that, Harry. There's gotta be a way against Liam. At least let's try to figure out a plan to get him to leave you alone. That's our main priority."

"Lou, there won't be anyone else on our side. If we can't have the police or any other professionals like that to even try to help us, we won't have a chance against him. And in case you forgot, he only wants me. I should just — "

"No. Don't say it," Louis snaps back, glaring at the youngest lad.

Zayn sighs and takes a seat beside Harry. "Look, Harry. You can't let Liam get to you. When it comes to stalkers, it's best to harden them — Not in that way. What I mean is, you need to constantly deny him any contact with you. That includes changing your phone number, email, and any other way he can contact you. You need to change your locks in your house, and add more if you have to. You just really have to make sure he can't get to you in any way. And we'll try our best to help you."

"That's right. We're not gonna let Liam get you again, Harry," Louis informs him with a smile. "We're your best friends. We've always got your back."

"Aww!" Eleanor coos suddenly, making the boys look over at her. "Sorry. That was just — really sweet. You know, all of you with your 'bromances' and strange closeness... Anyway, carry on. I'll just stay quiet. Yeah."

"As we were saying, we'll figure something out. But I guess our first step is to keep you away from Liam, since he clearly won't stay away from you. Maybe you should stay over at one of our houses. I can ask Pez if you can stay over for a few days or however it takes for us to think of a plan to get Liam to leave you alone."

"That's - ... That's really nice of you, Z. But I don't wanna bother you and Perrie, since you still have a wedding to plan and all that."

"Oh, yeah! You and Perrie are getting married soon! I can't believe I forgot about it! Does Perrie need any help — "

"El."

"Right. Sorry. Again... I'll stop now," she says sheepishly.

Smiling at her fondly, Louis kisses her hand before looking at his friends. "You can always stay with us, Styles. You've stayed with us before you moved into that house with an unfortunate creepy neighbour."

"I would still feel like I'm intruding somehow. And I bought that house on my own to actually live in it."

"But then Liam started all this crazy 'killing-us-to-get-you-alone' and there's no way we're letting you stay in that house if Liam might be able to get to you again. That's not safe, Harry," Zayn states.