xiv.

xiv.
31st May 1922
'derby day'
~

Within an hour of Thomas leaving Rose's flat, a man appeared outside. He seemed young but stood with great confidence. Rose undoubtedly felt more secure with him there.

Each time she would leave the house, he would follow close behind but never interacted with her. If she wasn't constantly thinking about the fact he was there, she probably would've forgotten.

The day the Darby rolled around, Rose almost expected the man to have left but she saw from the window that he remained firmly in the same position.

Wrapping her coat around her shoulders and placing a hat on her head, she decided to head out to the market for food. She had survived the past few days on what Ada had sent her but was in desperate need of a more substantial meal.

Stepping out of the front door, Rose stood directly facing the man assigned to watch her with only the road between them. The man nodded his head politely to her which she responded to with a smile.

Checking each way for oncoming traffic, she crossed the road so that they stood face to face. The man seemed taken back by her bold move. He knew that Rose must've been pretty from the way Tommy talked about her but yet his breath still caught in his throat now that she was stood before him.

"How come you're not needed at the Darby?" Rose asked, a playful smile playing on her rouged lips.

"I have more important things to be doing madam." The man spoke suggestively with a thick Birmingham accent, smirking down at her.

"Call me Rose."

"Will do, Rose. I'm Isiah." He nodded.

"It's lovely to meet you properly. Would you like to walk with me rather than five steps behind?"

"I'm not sure that's the best idea Rose with the Italians and that, they might see us."

"I gather that the Italians are mostly at the Darby and I've not had human company for a few days now so come on." She insisted, turning to walk in the direction of the market

Having been told that Rose was a quiet girl, Isiah wasn't expecting the confidence she had displayed. He certainly wasn't complaining though and quickly strode catch up with her.

They made small talk throughout the short walk, avoiding the subjects of Tommy and the business. It was as though an elephant stood between them and they held a mutual agreement to never address it.

Rose was fond of Isiah. The performance of cockiness quickly evaporated as they got to know each other, he was even gentlemanly enough to carry her shopping for her on the way back.

"Well thank you for accompanying me Isiah." She stopped when they reached her front door, turning to him.

"It was a pleasure, Rose. I can help you take these up if you like?" He asked, gesturing to the bags he held in either hand.

"No, no, you've done enough." She smiled back, taking them from him. "I'll see you later."

"You know where to find me." He shot her a smile before turning to cross the road and return to where he was instructed to stand on guard.

As she entered the building, Rose grew wary of shuffling coming from the landing above her. Her mind immediately began going a hundred miles an hour thinking of the worst possibilities. With Isiah not standing guard for the past half hour, anyone could've walked in.

She debated going outside and calling for him but decided against it, fearing she would seem paranoid. It was probably nothing.

Climbing the stairs as quietly as she could, Rose was shocked to see a glamorous figure dressed in a black and white suit.

The woman hadn't heard Rose coming. She stood staring out of the window with her back to the stairs.

"Can I help you?" Rose spoke up confidently as she reached the top step.

The woman quickly spun around, offering her a smile. 'Clearly not an assassin then' Rose thought.

"Rose is it?" Just like Isiah, the woman spoke with a thick Birmingham accent.

"It is." She responded bluntly, walking over to her front door where a gift basket sat identical to the one Ada had sent with Tommy.

"Ada sends her love," The woman spoke up when she saw Rose looking at the basket. "She's was going to come drop it off herself but Karl's ill so I offered."

"I'm guessing you're aunt Pol?" Rose finally joined the dots to work out who this woman was.

"Yes love. I've heard a lot about you from Tommy and Ada." Polly cursed herself slightly as she mentioned Tommy's name. She didn't know their exact situation but she knew enough to know it was sensitive.

"As have I. Would you like to come in for some tea?" Rose offered.

"I can't love, I'm heading to the Darby." Polly politely declined. That explained the outfit.

The elephant that had stalked Rose and Isiah seemed to have followed her in and wedged itself between her and Polly.

"Well it was lovely meeting you, send my love back to the family." Rose spoke with formality, crouching to pick up the basket along with her shopping bags.

"Try to forgive him." Polly called out, taking Rose by surprise. As she looked back over to the woman, she noted a slightly desperate look in her eyes. "He really feels bad about what he's done."

Unsure of what to say, Rose nodded her head slightly, turning back away from the woman once again.

Polly silently moved to leave the building with even more questions whirling round her head than when she entered.

Once inside, Rose put her bags down with a large sigh. The morning's events had more or less confirmed to her what she already knew: no matter where she went or what she did, she would never be able to get rid of the Shelbys.