iv.

iv.
20th April 1922
~

Rose decided against looking into Mrs Vaughan's accusations of Mr Shelby. However, she had decided that she would do her best to avoid him just in case.

The man that had been described to her was exactly what she had run from already; an evil man who valued profit over human life.

Avoiding him proved to be rather easy. He visited Ada once or twice a week but Rose would make sure she was in her room whenever there was a knock at the door.

Ada noticed but didn't say anything. Ada also noticed Tommy always looking around for Rose when he did visit, hanging on a little longer than he needed to just in case she came downstairs. But again, she didn't say anything.

One Thursday afternoon, Rose was left with the job of putting all the returned books back on the shelves. The library was quiet that day, only a few people were dotted around reading. This made the dark figure marching through very noticeable to everyone, especially to Rose.

Before she had even looked at his face, she knew who it was. Suddenly, her hands felt clammy and her heart began to thump against her chest.

"Hello Rosie."

"Mr Shelby. To what do I owe the pleasure?" She continued with her job, addressing him but never looking in his direction.

"I'm here to find a book." He stated proudly, not bothering to keep his voice down despite them being in a library.

"A book?" Rose's face held a confused expression. Tommy Shelby did not seem like the type to read books, not for pleasure at least.

"That is what people come to libraries to do, isn't it?" Rose saw out of the corner of her eye that he had placed a cigarette between his lips.

"You can't smoke in here." She quickly moved towards him, snatching it from his mouth before he could light it or before anyone saw.

"Why not?" Tommy spoke in a low voice, looking down at the woman who was now stood much closer than before, something she had only noticed when she felt his warm, smokey breath hit her face.

"It makes the books smell." She reasoned, handing the cigarette back to him. It wasn't a very good reason but he accepted it. "What book are you looking for then?"

"I'm looking for a book about American manufacturing, specifically in cars."

"Okay." Rose's face scrunched slightly as she tried to think where such a book might be.  "Follow me." She led him through the bookshelves to where she expected to find what he was looking for.

Hanging back slightly, he was once again astounded by how well she carried herself given her upbringing. Her posture was impeccable, as if it had been taught and she was so light footed it almost looked like she was walking on air.

Stopping at the correct section, Tommy almost walked into the side of her from not paying attention. Luckily, she didn't notice. She hummed slightly as her eyes scanned the endless shelves of books.

"Here." She pointed to a row of books that seemed to fit the general description of what he was looking for. "You should find something here, sir."

"Thank you." He tried to hide the disappointment in his voice at being called 'sir'. She always spoke to him with such professionalism rather than as a friend.

Turning his attention to the books she had pointed to, he picked a random one from the shelf. She had already walked away by now, back to doing her assigned tasks.

Tommy found a chair that overlooked most of the library. He genuinely was there to research the manufacturing industry in America but it was a secondary reason, Rose being the first. His eyes fleeted between pretending to read and looking over to Rose as she carefully put books away.

It aggravated him that he couldn't read her. He could always tell things about a person straight away but not her. It left him constantly uneasy in her presence. He was partly concerned for his sister's wellbeing but mainly his ego took over, determined to figure her out.

It wasn't long before her task brought her over to where Tommy was sat reading. She placed the necessary books back in their place behind him, glancing over his shoulder at what he was reading.

"I didn't know you spoke French." She teased after noticing the book he had chosen to read.

"Eh?" He looked back over his shoulder, surprised she'd even spoken to him.

"The book you're reading; it's in French." Rose spoke French, something she obviously wouldn't admit. The book was about manufacturing from the few words she read but in France, not America.

"Oh." Tommy was at a loss for words which was very rare for him. He worried that she may have figured out that he was suspicious of her. Without saying another word, he stood and placed the book back on the shelf.

Paying slightly closer attention this time, he found one that would genuinely be useful to him.

"I think I'll check this one out, I can bring it back to you whenever, right?" A subtle excuse to visit her again.

"It'd be preferred for you to hand it back in to the front desk but yes, I suppose."

"Great." He began heading in the direction of the front desk but not before yelling "goodbye Rosie" loud enough for those in close proximity to hear and send annoyed looks their way.