xxxi.

xxxi.
17th September 1922
~

Thomas could feel Polly's hard stare on him the second he walked through the door of the betting shop on Monday morning. As much as he tried to ignore it as he made his way through the building, the sound of her heels echoed two paces behind him all the way into his office.

Slamming the door shut behind her, the woman stood patiently, waiting until Tommy was sat at his desk before she spoke.

"Nice of you to grace us with your presence." The tone of Polly's voice could always set the mood of any conversation. Today, she was pissed!

"Not now Pol." Tommy sighed, the bags under his eyes telling of just how much shit he had to deal with without his family causing problems.

"I was starting to think you'd hide away in that palace of yours for good." How he wished in this moment that he had...

"What do you want?" He leant forward head in hands as she moved further into the room towards his large oak desk.

"Where's Rose?" The change of subject was unexpected, turning Tommy's once dismissive tone into curiosity.

"She's gone to London to see Ada and get more of her things,"

"On her own?"

"Of course not." He snapped at the suggestion. "Isiah's with her."

"So she's moving in for good then?"

"Polly." Tommy warned, desperate for her to get to the point. "What is it?"

Polly took the last few paces needed to close the space between the them and threw a copy of today's Gazette down on the desk in front of him.

"What am I looking at?"

"Page 4."

Tommy's turned the pages, his eyes immediately falling on a portrait of a much younger looking Rose accompanied by the headline 'Missing socialite Rosalie Elliot spotted in Birmingham'.

His blood ran cold as he read the details of how she had been seen dining at the Midland hotel with her brother, was a well known business mogul. Fuck, they should've been more careful...

"So?" Polly barked, clearly growing impatient at Tommy's emotionless face as she stood with her hands on her hips.

Of course, Tommy couldn't let on that this was bothering him yet. "So what?" He shrugged dismissively. Yes the picture looked like Rose but the quality was bad and she was at least five years younger when this was taken.

"Is it her? This missing socialite descended from French fucking royalty?"

"What makes you think it's her?"

"Don't treat me like a fool Thomas, anyone could see that's her. If that wasn't enough there's mention of a boy matching Isiah's description further down. They act like it's some fucking scandal because of the colour of his skin. It won't be long before someone round here recognises the picture and starts talking."