xxix.

xxix.
26th August 1922
~

Rose's tradition of starting each morning with a cup of tea and a good book hadn't changed despite her circumstances changing.

On this particular morning, rather than a novel, she was reading a book on pregnancy and rather than being sat in her home, she was sat in the kitchen of Arrow house.

As a child, she had enjoyed spending time in the kitchens, hidden away from the grandeur of the house above and she unconsciously found herself slipping back into old habits having stayed in Arrow house for three days now.

She had driven up on the Wednesday despite Tommy's objections of her operating a vehicle alone while carrying his child.

Her reason for visiting was that Tommy, Polly, Ada and almost the entire family for that matter had insisted on her being seen by a posh, expensive doctor they knew in Birmingham to check everything was in order after her debacle with Mrs Vaughan's husband.

Two days on from the appointment, she found herself hanging around. After all, there was no need for her to rush back to London as her next shift in the library wasn't until the following Tuesday.

And so, she found herself curled up in the cozy kitchen of Arrow house, feeling more relaxed and at home than she had in a long time.

Of course, it wasn't long before Tommy noticed her absence from the main house and began his hunt for her which eventually led him to where she sat around the wooden table.

"There you are." He proclaimed, lifting her from between the pages. "Why are you down here, all those rooms upstairs not enough for you, eh?"

"It's not that." She smiled. "I always used to escape to the kitchens when I was a kid, it's cozy and away from everything."

"I see." Tommy took a seat across from her, Rose noticed an era of petulance in his voice and mannerisms, leading her brow to involuntarily furrow. He noticed and sensed she must be onto him, practically reading his mind as easily as she read her book. "I've decorated some new rooms since you were last here."

"I had noticed the workmen." Rose placed her book on the table and leaned forward, yearning to be closer to him.

"Do you want to see them?"

"Of course. How many are there?"

"Two, we'll start with the one on the upper floor." He proclaimed, jumping up from his seat and moving to assist Rose.

"Tommy I'm barely six weeks gone, will you stop fussing." She giggled as he reached for her hand.

"No, I will not." He said bluntly as they began making their way up from the kitchens.

Workmen still loitered around the house, each one greeting the pair as they passed and made their way up the stairs.

Tommy stopped in front of the door next to his room, a room Rose hadn't seen since it was empty.