xxvi.

xxvi.
9th August 1922
~

Rose sat in the staff room of the library nibbling away at her nails as her mind travelled at a million miles per minute. Her knee bounced up and down as the half-full teacup went cold on the table beside her.

It was only the sound of the door opening which ripped her from her thoughts. She tried to regain her composure as Mrs Vaughan entered the room with a concerned look already written on her face.

"Are you alright love? Your break's been over ten minutes already." The older lady moved into the room, closing the door behind her.

"Shit." Rose cursed, quickly jumping from her seat, hands busy clearing away the tea and saucer.

"Hold on a minute." Mrs Vaughan held her hands out, trying to calm the frantic woman. "Sit down." She instructed.

"I can't, I have to get back to work."

"No you don't." Shaking her head, Mrs Vaughan gently gripped Rose's arm, leading her to sit back down. "You're going to sit there and tell me what's going on."

Sitting back down, Rose's head fell in her hands as she let out a sigh. "I'm late." The words that had been playing on her mind finally slipped from her lips. It suddenly felt more real now that she had admitted it out loud to another person.

"How late?" Mrs Vaughan's voice was stern but kind, leading Rose to worry whether she would be judged.

"Three days. I'm usually regular as clockwork." She admitted, finally looking up to the woman who looked back with concern, like a mother looking at a troubled daughter.

"And is this good news or bad news?" While Rose was a perfectly appropriate age to have a child, she was of course unmarried and that got you all sorts of labels in this world.

"That's the thing." She shook her head, smiling slightly. "I'm not sure."

Mrs Vaughan nodded knowingly. Taking a seat in front of Rose, she bent down so that their faces were level. "My husband's a doctor. I'll give him a call, you go to him after your shift. Whatever the outcome, we can help you."

"Thank you." Rose smiled, nodding slightly. "I'd best get back to work."

"Yeah and I'd give Mr Shelby a call when you get chance." Mrs Vaughan smirked as she observed the shocked look on Rose's face at her words.

"How did you-"

"People talk in this town, Miss Davies." Rose left dumbfounded but also relieved at the massive weight being ever so slightly lifted from her shoulders.

~

And just like that, she had her answer. As quickly as her suspicions had risen, they had been stomped on. The iron tablets she had been prescribed shook in her coat pocket as she exited the doctors.