xvi.

xvi.
31st May 1922
'derby day'
~

"Tommy?"

The man was stood before her in a terrible state. Remenants of tears streamed down his cheeks, his hair was a mess and blood was smeared in the corner of his eye, into his hair and down to his cheekbone.

Sympathy and care intertwined sinfully with anger. He was clearly in trouble so why would he bring the trouble to her?

"Tommy, you can't be here." She spoke softly, aware of his clearly vulnerable state.

"Please Rosie." He shook his head, leaning a hand against the door frame. His voice came out barely above a whisper.

"Whatever's happened, I'm sure Ada can help you better than me."

"Rosie." He interrupted her, taking a deep breath just as she was about to shut the door.

It physically hurt him to know he was showing her this side of him willingly, a side no other person had ever seen.

"You can hate me again tomorrow but just for tonight I need you to love me."

His voice cracked at the final few words, sending a chill coursing through Rose's veins.

Their eyes finally met as Rose fell speechless.

Following no objections, Tommy pushed off the doorframe and moved into the flat. They each stayed silent and maintained eye contact as he shut the door behind him.

The crackling of the fire and the soft, sweet sound of the music filled their ears as they stood in mutual appreciation of eachother's company.

A rogue tear fell from his left eye and Rose took the opportunity to reach up and gently wipe it away.

Her hand lingered, lightly cupping his cheek. Just as she was about to move away, he gently grasped her wrist to keep her hand in place.

His eyes fluttered shut at the sensation of her touch; a sensation he had been deprived of for far too long and never wanted to lose again.

The distraught expression that had masked his face just moments before had slipped away, leaving a vulnerable man Rose was completely unfamiliar with. He appeared hurt but almost at peace.

As his eyes slowly opened again, he saw Rose's face had also softened in the light of the fire and he recalled thinking he had never seen something so beautiful.

Wasting no more time, Tommy mirrored Rose's action in cupping her cheek. Leaning down, he pressed his lips against her's, gently at first.

The kiss they had shared before was short and so soft it almost felt like it didn't even happen. This, however, was completely different and held completely different emotions behind it.

It was deep and hungry, both of them craving more that couldn't be satisfied with a simple kiss.

One of Tommy's hands went to the back of her head, holding it in place while the other wrapped around her waist.

She kept both hands gently placed against his chest, eventually applying pressure to part their lips.

"Tommy." She whispered. Once again his expression had shifted. He appeared hungry and desperate, another side she had never seen. "What happened?"

"No." He dismissed breathlessly, shaking his head. "Not tonight."

Once again, he captured her lips with his own which took Rose by surprise but she certainly wasn't complaining.

Tommy was desperate to place a pause on life and savour the moment. He would have to deal with the day's events at some point but desperately hoped he could delay responsibility at least until tomorrow.

For tonight, all he could think about was her. If today had taught him one thing, it was to satisfy desire and he surely intended to.

Weeks of built up tensions unraveled as the unlikely couple hastily moved to the bed in the corner.

Everything that happened that night felt natural to both of them, as though their souls were destined to engage in such intimate acts.

The pleasure that overwhelmed them eventually sent them off into a blissful sleep tangled up between sheets and limbs.

It was the first half decent sleep either of them had had in weeks.

Unbeknownst to them, while they had been distracted by each other, worry was mounting back up in Birmingham.

Polly entered the Garrison where everyone was celebrating with champagne and whiskey.

John and Arthur hopped down off the table they were stood on when they noticed the concerned, frantic look on their aunt's face.

"Ey up, Pol." John beamed as the pair reached her.

"Have either of you seen Tommy?" Her eyes kept darting around the pub in search for her nephew's face. "I've asked around and been to his house but no one's seen him."

"Not since before the race, no." Arthur answered.

"I saw him after. Said he had some business to finish up with Sabini but he should be back by now surely." Polly informed them.

"What? You think something's happened to him?" John was beginning to share Polly's concern but Arthur still brushed it off.

"He probably picked up some posh bird and is doing some celebrating of his own." The eldest Shelby shoved his younger brother playfully as he reassured them.

"You're right." Polly nodded. "I made the mistake of mentioning Rose to him, he's probably trying to take his mind off her."

"Don't worry Pol." John reached over the bar, grabbing the champagne. "Have a good night, I'm sure he'll turn up at some point."

"Yeah, if he's not back by morning, I'll ring Ada. Maybe she's seen him." Polly took the bottle from John, taking a large swig of the champagne.

The family spent the night celebrating. Tommy never showed which by morning raised some concerns.

Word of the blinders' disappearance spread around Small Heath like wildfire, everyone desperate to know what had happened.

Little did they know that he was alive and well. Not only that but he was happy for the first time in years.