ix.

ix.
10th May 1922
~

The following Wednesday, Rose was going about her business at work just like any other day. She tried her best to suppress the emotions that had come to a front a few days prior. Instead, she chose to stick to the facts.

Tommy knew the truth now, that was a fact. But she trusted him to keep his mouth shut, that was also a fact.

Ada was yet to return from Birmingham and so when Rose's shift ended at three in the afternoon, she chose to stay in the library and read.

As she sat at her usual table in the corner, she couldn't help but feel as though she was being watched. Ignoring it at first, she tried to distract herself with the words on the page but her instincts told her to look around.

As she surveyed the area, her eyes eventually fell on a man looking back at her. His hat was low and a book covered some of his face but his eyes were looking straight into her's.

As the book lowered, Rose saw that he was actually rather attractive. A young man, mid twenties maybe. There was nothing particularly extraordinary about the way he looked, the only notable part of his appearance being his tanned complexion and dark features.

Before she could properly register what was happening, he had moved to stand in front of her.

"Good afternoon, Miss. May I sit?" He spoke in a hushed voice with a slight Italian accent, making sense given his appearance.

"Sure." She smiled back, her mind momentarily drifting back to Tommy.

The pair spoke for some time, she was careful not to reveal too much about herself but the man enjoyed talking about himself more anyway. He spoke a lot of his friend's club close by and how amazing it was, insisting that he must take her one day.

Following many excuses, she finally agreed to visit the 'Eden Club' with him that Friday night, in two days time.

He seemed harmless so she planned to humour him for the evening and make it known that she wasn't particularly interested, she may even have a good time.

"It was lovely meeting you, Mr Changretta." Rose glanced to her watch, indicating that she intended to leave.

"Please." He smiled back. "Call me Angel."

"Okay Angel." Placing her coat over her shoulders, she picked up her things. "I'll see you Friday."

"I'll be counting down the hours Miss Rose." He reached for her hand, placing a gentle kiss on the back of it.

~

As she walked through her front door, Rose was surprised to hear voices. Before she could call out, Ada burst into the hallway, not waiting a second before rushing towards her best friend and ambushing her in a hug.

"You're home!" Rose beamed.

"There's so much we need to talk about!" Ada pulled out of the hug, leading Rose into the front room (the same room where she had kissed Ada's brother only a few nights before).

"How's everything in Birmingham?" Rose began the conversation, pouring herself a cup of tea from the teapot on the table.

"Better, yeah. Michael got released from prison, that's why I came back."

"Oh good." Rose joined Ada on the sofa, relaxing back and trying not to picture Tommy sat in Ada's place.

"So what happened here? I heard our Tommy paid you a visit."

"Yeah, I think he just came to check on me. We spoke for a while and went to see Charlie Chaplin."

"Right." Ada's expression told her that she didn't believe that was all that had happened. Rose wondered if Tommy had told his sister the truth but quickly dismissed it, surely he wouldn't.

"What?" Rose chuckled as Ada continued to smirk at her.

"Are you falling in love with my brother?" Ada was clearly teasing but nevertheless, Rose went wide eyed and she almost spit out her tea.

"Ada! Of course not, it's nothing like that."

"Hmm. You two seem to be spending some time together, that's all."

"No, I don't even think he likes me." Rose's eyes cast downwards, hiding the slight sadness at her words.

"Don't be silly, why do you say that?"

"He just always seems really off whenever I'm around, like he doesn't trust me or something."

"Oh no, that's just Tommy." Ada reassured her.

"Well it doesn't matter anyway because I have a date on Friday."

"Rose! With who?" Ada put her tea on the table, excitedly waving her hands around.

"His name is Angel, we met in the library this afternoon."

"Right well we need to go out and find you a brand new outfit at once."

~
12th May 1922
~

"Ada stop fussing." Rose pleaded as her friend fixed her hair for the tenth time since she'd first put it up.

"Sorry, Sorry." She moved away from the woman, looking back at her like a piece of artwork she had created.

They had bought her a navy blue sequin dress and matching handbag for her date. Her hair was pinned up and light makeup highlighted her best features.

"What time is it?" Rose asked, looking around frantically for her watch.

"It's twenty to seven, do you want me to call you a taxi?"

"Yes please Ada."

"You should just let one of the Shelby boys drive you, no doubt they'll follow you anyway."

"They can follow along all they want but no, I want to get a taxi." Rose knew the best way to stay out of the trouble was to not publicly associate with the men who worked for the Shelbys, including getting lifts from them.

"Okay but just stay safe yeah?" Ada moved in front of the woman, staring at her with pleading eyes.

"Ada." Rose rolled her eyes, she hated being treated like a child all the time. "I don't need this again."

"I know I just worry about you, it's a scary world out there."

"Just call the bloody taxi will you." She turned back to the mirror as Ada left the room.