i.

i.
26th February 1922
~

Most correlate success to wealth and notoriety. They spend their whole lives striving for greatness, for people to know their name. Rose Davis was never one of those people. She was content as long as she had peace and quiet.

A love for books bonded with the love of silence, making a job in a library perfect for the young woman. Most of her life had been spent among such anger and noise that she found the most comfort in the sound of nothing at all. When she wasn't working, you could often find her either reading or writing in the corner of the library.

Such habits had caught the attention of many who also frequented the space. Young men often glanced over longingly, no doubt romanticising her every move. They most likely fabricated an elaborate backstory for the mysterious woman that would never come close being as crazy as the truth.

Aside from them, she'd caught the eye of one person in particular, Ada Thorne. She too enjoyed the silence found between the bookshelves. There was something about the woman in the corner that intrigued her, something she couldn't quite pin point.

After choosing a book to entertain her for the afternoon, she approached the table that the mystery woman already occupied. Even after sitting diagonally across from Rose and placing a book on the table, the woman didn't look up.

Ada glanced around to ensure there was no one close by that she could disturb as she spoke up. "What are you reading?" She murmured just above a whisper.

Rose's head shot up as though she hadn't even noticed the woman before those words were spoken, ripping her away from between the pages.

"Erm, Sister Carrie." She smiled, turning to the cover to show the woman across from her.

Ada was surprised to hear some sort of northern accent come from the woman so deep in the heart of London. "I've never heard of that." She sounded genuinely interested as she took the book and observed the front cover.

"It's an American novel. About a woman who moves from the country to the big city."

"Is that what you did?" Ada looked back towards her, curious to learn more about the woman. She seemed kind and genuine. Ada lacked friends in London, anyone who came close ran a mile when they learned of her family.

"Sort of, yeah." Rose smiled as the broken truth fell from her lips. She had vowed since her name had been legally changed that she would stick to her story and never admit to her true past. "Only the woman in the novel is a mistress and I'm not, I just work in a library."

Ada looked back up at her, letting out a small laugh when she saw the genuine concern on Rose's face that Ada might assume this similarity too. The laugh earned a glare and a 'shhh' from an older woman nearby. Both women noticed, immediately going quiet again but with wide smiles remaining on their faces.

Ada had a good feeling about Rose, she could see them being good friends. She just hoped that she wouldn't run a mile when she finds out who her brothers are.

"I'm Ada, Ada Thorne."

"Rose Davies."

~
23rd March 1922
~

"You're a fussy boy today, aren't you?" Rose cooed at Ada's son Karl as he shuffled on her lap, pouting and refusing to sit still

"Need me to take him?" Ada asked as she walked back in the room with a tray of tea.

"No, he's alright." It had been around a month since they first met in the library and they had quickly become close friends.

They learnt that they had a lot in common. Both spoke of their fallen partners, Rose having lost her partner John during the war and Ada losing her Freddie a couple of years after. They both complained about their families as well but left out the parts they didn't want the other to know about.

"Are you okay today?" Ada furrowed her brow as she noticed her friend seeming particularly stressed. Rose was always such a calm person that it was strange to see her distant and worried.

"Yeah, it's just my landlord."

"He giving you shit again?"

"Ada!" Rose playfully scolded, covering Karl's ears as the woman swore.

"Oh, he's fine. He heard a lot worse from his father." Ada relieved Rose of the small child that was tugging at the loose strands of hair that fell around her face. "Yano, you could always move in here."

"Don't be silly, that wouldn't be fair on you." Rose quickly dismissed the suggestion, leaning over to grab the cup of tea Ada had poured for her.

"Are you kidding? There's six rooms free up there, take your pick." There was a slight humorous tone to Ada's voice but they both knew she was being serious. Rose thought it over as she sipped on her tea, feeling more and more excited at the prospect of living with her closest friend.

"Well, I'd have to give you something, pay you rent."

"Nonsense. You know I'd never take money from you. Besides, I'd look good to the communists if I was seen selflessly helping out a woman in need." Ada teased, sitting on the sofa next to her.

"Oh, so I'm charity now?" Rose joked.

"No, but seriously. Help around the house, look after Karl every once in a while. I wouldn't ever ask for anything more than that." Ada smiled wide.

Slowly, after another short period of contemplation, Rose began nodding her head. "Yeah, lets do it."

Ada squealed with excitement, jumping up from her seat. "This calls for champagne!" She beamed as she headed towards the drinks cabinet.

What could possibly go wrong?