xx.

xx.
9th June 1922
~

The night flew by filled with laughter and drinking games. Rose was fitting in better than any of them had expected.

John and Arthur in particular had taken a liking to her, marvelled by her sportsmanship when it came to the aforementioned drinking games.

The clock ticked closer to midnight and Tommy was yet to leave Rose's side. His arm was glued to the back of her seat unless he was pouring her another drink or lighting her cigarette for her.

Their proximity was noticed by everyone but they never touched, aside from one fleeting moment when they reached for the cigarette packet at the same time.

The tension grew between the pair with each passing moment but neither would give in through fear that if they touched, they wouldn't be able to stop.

This was a matter of discipline and self control.

When Ada asked Rose to assist her to the bathroom, Tommy's face resembled that of a lost puppy. His eyes followed her all the way as she walked out of the door, ignoring that anyone else was even in the room.

"Look at that, eh John." Arthur chuckled, pouring himself another whiskey. "Our brother's gone all soft."

Without fighting it, Thomas simply smiled as the light jeering towards him continued.

Meanwhile, Ada and Rose made their way through the pub to where the restrooms were. Eyes once again fell on the two dazzling young women, some men practically drooling in their drunken states.

Rose was quickly realising that Small Heath could be a dangerous place as a woman without a Shelby brother by your side.

She tried to not pay them any attention but as her eyes quickly fleeted around the room, one face instantly caught her off guard. Stopping in her tracks, she whipped her head back to where she had seen him but he was gone.

"What's up?" Ada asked as she noticed the woman had stopped.

"Nothing." Rose shook it off, must've been the champagne and whiskey making her see things.

"Well I think it's fair to say everyone likes you." Ada reassured her as they stepped into the bathroom. "You had no need to worry after all."

"You think?" Rose forced a smile, still slightly shaken by the face she thought she saw.

"Oh yeah, I've not seen them take to someone that quickly, well... ever."

Rose turned to the mirror, seeing that she had turned pale as if she had seen a ghost. The makeup on her face only just disguised it.

Reaching into the small purse she brought, she retrieved her lipstick, touching up areas where it had rubbed off from drinking and smoking all night.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Ada asked, noticing the sudden change in behaviour.