xi.

xi.
12th May 1922
~

It was almost nine at night on a Friday and the Shelby Company offices were almost deserted. Everyone had left in a hurry to go to the pub the second the clock struck six. The only two souls left were Tommy and Lizzie.

Miss Stark had finally finished her tasks for the day and was excited to get home and put her feet up. Before leaving, she knocked on her boss' door as she did each day before taking her leave.

"Come." His strong voice bellowed from behind the door. When she opened the door, she saw him gazing longingly out of the window with a cigarette between his fingers.

"I'm all done for the day, sir." She stated proudly.

"Yeah alright, you can go home." He brought his cigarette to his lips, his stare remaining in place out of the window. Lizzie could tell he was distracted and it didn't seem to be business on his mind.

"There's rumours going around the office that you're seeing some posh girl in London." She smirked, trying to get any form of response out of him.

"Don't listen to rumours, Lizzie."

"It was Ada who started it. Said you drove all the way to London to return a book to her."

"Ada is a romantic." He turned his head slightly, his gaze finally falling to Lizzie. "Go home Lizzie."

She did as he said, leaving him once again alone with his thoughts in the dark room. His mind was all over the place. He had been trying desperately to think of a plan to get them out of the shit but whenever he got somewhere, his mind would drift back to Rose.

The feeling of her lips, the twinkle in her eyes, the electricity he felt when their skin had touched all invaded his mind, preventing any other thoughts from breaking through.

Leaning against the back of his chair, he closed his eyes and gave in, allowing his mind to fully immerse itself in the thought of Rose.

He was only ripped from his trance when the phone of the office screamed out. Who would be calling at this hour?

"Hello." He answered.

"Tommy, something's happened." Ada sounded frantic with a hint of sadness lacing her words.

"Ada? What is it?"

"It's Rose." A lump formed in Tommy's throat, anger already overcoming him despite not knowing what had happened. "Sabini's boys got to her, she's in a bad way."

"I'm on my way."

"Tommy it's late I just-" he hung up on his sister, grabbing his things with shaking hands.

An overwhelming amount of emotion washed over him; anger, guilt, upset. They manifested themselves in the form of destruction, everything in his path being pushed aside or thrown to the floor. Before exiting the office, he threw a glass vase at the wall, screaming out as he did.