xxviii.

xxviii.
11th August 1922
~

Over the following twenty-four hours, Rose slowly began to feel better about the situation, largely due to Tommy's presence. He refused to leave her side even when she told him to, staying the night to make sure she was okay and didn't slip into sadness again. Rose more than appreciated the act of kindness, knowing this was Tommy's way of showing he cared.

She laid on his chest, basking in the morning sun that glared in through the window. A cigarette burned between the fingers of her left hand while those on her right gently traced the outline of his tattoos.

Tommy gazed down at her lovingly as he smoked a cigarette of his own. The smoke coming from them intertwined, dancing together in the morning sun as the couple laid in gentle silence.

"Ada's invited us and Polly for tea today." Tommy spoke in a low, grumbly voice, sending Rose wild as she felt the sound vibrate from his chest.

"That's nice, what's the occasion?" Her fingers moved from his chest to trace the outline of his jaw which clenched slightly at the gentle touch.

"Ada wanted to do something nice, make you feel better." He lied, moving his fingers lazily through the ends of her hair.

"I don't deserve you Shelbys." Rose shifted her naked body up so that she could capture Tommy's lips for the hundredth time that morning.

"You deserve the world Rosie." He whispered against her lips, gripping the back of her head to hold her closer to him.

Moments like this made Tommy want to give everything up. His business, his house, everything he had worked for. He would give it all up to spend every moment of each day feeling the way he did laying with Rosie in their own little world.

~

Ada greeted the couple at the door with a large smile, embracing Rose as she moved into the house.

"Polly's in the front room." She informed them as Tommy removed Rose's coat for her and allowed her to slip off to greet the older Shelby woman.

"Does she know why she's here?" Tommy asked Ada in a hushed tone as he removed his own coat and placed them both on the coat hooks.

"No of course not, try act natural." Ada whispered back at him before joining the other women to not look suspicious.

As Tommy slipped into the living room, he moved to greet his aunt before joining Rose on the sofa opposite her. The women created small talk about the weather and books, Rose demonstrating her expert skills of socialising.

Tommy paid little attention to what was going on around him. His gaze fixed on Polly, desperate to catch any hint that she noticed something about Rose. Despite trying his best to appear discreet, she noticed and her stare quickly moved to him, a suspicious look in her eye.

"Oh, I have some cakes in the kitchen." Ada stated proudly, placing her china cup down on the table and standing up.

"I'll get them love." Polly stood up quickly to stop Ada from leaving. "Tommy will you help me?" She asked as they shared a knowing look.

Ada allowed the pair to move off, aware of the tension in the room. Rose had noticed too but dismissed it as business and didn't raise any questions.

As Tommy followed his aunt into the kitchen, he observed how her face hardened as she turned to him with her arms folded.

"I didn't think afternoon tea was your thing." Polly interrogated her nephew, now very suspicious as she thought more about the situation.

"I'm trying new things, Polly. Rosie is teaching me all about new things."

"What's the real reason I'm here Thomas?"

"I don't know what you mean." He dismissed.

"Is it the same reason you cancelled all of your appointments today and yesterday?"

"Polly, I-"

"Save it Thomas." She cut him off. "She's pregnant, isn't she?" Polly spoke in a hushed tone to prevent the women in the next room hearing their conversation.

"We don't know." Tommy sighed, giving up the act. "She's late but the doctor said it was just down to low iron."

"Doctors always say that." She scoffed. "But you wanted aunt Polly to check."

"Yeah."

"And it's definitely yours?"

"Polly." He snapped at the insinuation of Rose sleeping with anyone else, the thought hadn't even crossed his mind.

"Calm down Thomas. I know it would be yours, I've seen the way she looks at you." She smiled, grabbing the cakes and walking back into the living room with Tommy following close behind.

"Rose love, stand up." Polly instructed as she joined the other women back in the living room.

"Erm okay." Rose did as she was told, her confused eyes shifting to Tommy as he walked back in. "What's going on?"

"Is it okay if I touch you?" Pol's eyes focussed on Rose's stomach as she moved closer to her.

"Yes, I suppose." She accepted, raising her eyebrows as her eyes locked with Tommy who stood looking back at her anxiously.

Polly reached out and touched Rose's stomach, moving her hands around the lower part of her torso as Ada and Tommy looked on with hopeful hearts.

Unexpectedly, Polly reached up and grabbed Rose's breast, causing her to jump back slightly at the sudden contact.

"Will someone please tell me what is going on?" She asked calmly. It was clear to her that everyone in the room knew something she didn't.

"What exactly did the doctor say to you the other day?" Polly asked, ignoring her question. It finally clicked in Rose's head what this was all about.

"It's just low iron." Rose dismissed, shaking her head.

"Did he tell you that before or after he found out you're unmarried?"

"After."

"Of course." Polly scoffed. "No doctor wants to be the one to tell an unmarried woman she's pregnant."

Rose once again locked her eyes to Tommy's as she finally understood what was being insinuated. Her heart thudded in her chest as a large smile rose on her face.

"Wait so I'm-" she couldn't even bare to say the word, afraid it would be taken from her again.

"Congratulations love." Polly smiled wide. "You're a Shelby woman now."