Chapter 14

Amelia had gone to her room to rest. Isabelle and Mariah were in the parlour plying needlework. They were talking excitedly as they sat by the sunny window with probably more chatter than stitches. James popped his head in through the door.

"I'm taking Simon for a ride to the old house. I thought we might talk about fixing the old thing up for his family. Oh, Magnus and Tobias are coming too."

He sighed, "I guess I'd better take Wesley!"

Unknown to James, Wesley was standing right behind him. Wesley gave a cheer of delight and punched the air as he raced off to the stables. James and the women laughed at Wesley's excited antics.

Barely a twenty minute ride away from the manor the men turned into the old carriage way that led to a large rundown house. This is where James's parents had lived out their lives and the very house James had been born in. There had been a kitchen fire which took the life of the old cook when a log that had been carelessly placed had rolled out of the fireplace, caught her dress alight an set the wooden floor on fire. The fire damage had been contained to the kitchen and back hall but after her death which happened close to the passing of his parents James could not bear to come here. The need of Isabelle's family paled the events and so James, seeing sense and knowing they had nothing, offered to help fix the place up if Simon and Amelia wanted it.

As they walked around the building Simon could see that there really was very little to be done to rebuild what had burned. He could see the potential of the home and he was elated to be given such a gift.

The gardens were a wild mess but he knew he could tame them. The floor rugs would need cleaning and it would need painting. The few old furnishings that were left would need cleaning and refinishing. He laughed as he walked quickly from room to room. This would be a palace when he finished and Amelia would be treated like a queen, he dreamed. As they headed back outside simon's face dropped.

"What's wrong?" asked James.

"I'm very grateful for your kindness James but I can ill afford what I need to fix the house. I have no money!"

James put his arm across Simon's shoulder.  "I would be honoured if you would allow me to purchase whatever it is that you need."

"I would be indebted to you with no means of repayment, " worried Simon.

"If it will make you feel better you can work for me. There is an overgrown orchard past the old stables and you can use as much land as you need." offered James.

"Thank you! Thank you! cried Simon as he shook James's hand eagerly, grateful that he could also earn an income.

"Now let's make a not of how you would like to proceed with the renovations, shall we." James smiled and said. Simon laughed at James's comment.

Magnus, Tobias and Wesley had been wandering around the outbuildings and had checked the well. With a little repair and a lot of cleaning they felt things would work out brilliantly.

The men started to pick up the loose debris around the kitchen area. The stone was put in a heap to be used in the rebuilding. Any timber that could be salvaged was stacked. Some old tools had been found in the old stable. They would have to be cleaned and rubbed with grease but Simon was confident they would be quite usable. As he continued to look around Simon could see in his mind's eye that this was going to be a very beautiful place with gardens, crops and fruit in abundance.

Simon and Amelia borrowed a horse and flat bed cart to use as they went back and forth to clean and mend the old house. Isabelle and Magnus often went to help. Wesley was excited with the project and spent long hours working with Simon. He gained a sense of worth and purpose and his physique soon became well muscled. Simon was happy to have another pair of willing hands to help with the work. Before long the kitchen and back hall had been rebuilt and repaired. The new stove was ready to be primed.