Chapter 19

Simon returned home to find Lord and Lady Whiteroad had come to visit. Amelia was about to show them around. Simon stabled his horse and returned to walk around with them. Simon and Amelia proudly showed off their home explaining the work that had been done and acknowledging those that had pitched in. Amelia's parents were very impressed when they drew up the carriage way but had a much greater appreciation after their tour.

"I am amazed at how well you keep your home. What, with no servants, it must be hard on you." Lady Whiteroad said taking her daughter's hand.

"It is great satisfaction, mother, to be able to look around and see the work done and know that one has contributed to keeping things in order."

Amelia directed everyone back inside to the sitting room.

"Would you care for some refreshement?"

 "That would be delightful." replied her mother.

Amelia went to the kitchen and cut some pieces of berry pie and fresh cake and placed them on a tray with a jug of lemon water. She walked into the sitting room and placed the tray on the small table near to where her parents sat.  Simon invited them to help themselves which they did. Lord Whiteroad claimed the pie was the best he'd ever tasted and helped himself to another piece.

"Who cooks for you?" asked Lady Whiteroad.

"I do the cooking and baking and we are growing our own produce. Simon works very hard and we are just beginning to enjoy the blessings of that hard work."

The Lord and Lady Whiteroad left that day with renewed spirit and an even greater respect and love for Amelia and Simon.

Several days passed and a pack-horse and rider appeared at the gates of the Jacobson's. He called out as he neared the house. Simon came to meet the man. The man turned to his horse and untied the goods revealing a small chest. Simon helped the man convey the goods into the sitting room. The man placed the chest on the table and reached into his pocket and pulled out a piece of paper folded around a key and handed it to Simon. Amelia had heard the men talking and had come to join them, bringing a tray of drinks. She placed the tray on the table next to the chest and sat down beside Simon. Simon unfolded the paper to reveal a key for the chest and a letter.

"My dear Simon and Amelia, Thank you for your kind hospitality on our recent visit. Amelia, your mother has taken up a new hobby, that of baking. She has pestered Cook into instructing her in the art of baking bread, cakes and pies. She is progressing well and I fear I shall die a fat man from savouring her offerings. Now to other matters. The chest, which I trust made it's way safely, contains what should have been Amelia's dowry on the occasion of your marriage. I give it to you now. I have reinstated Amelia to her rightful place in my will. Kindest regards, Charles Whiteroad."

"Will there be any reply?" asked the carrier.

"No, thank you," responded Simon.

The man took his leave and his horse was heard clopping away. Amelia and Simon looked at each other and looked at the chest. Simon placed the key in the lock and turned it and lifted the lid.

"I think insanity has gripped your father in his old age." he said as they both stared in amazement at the contents of the chest.

Simon took the chest and placed it in his trunk with Isabelle's bag and returned to inspect the rest of the goods which were contained in two baskets. Bundles of the best silks and brocades were drawn from one. The other contained a note to Isabelle and Magnus informing them of a chest containing a dowry on behalf of Isabelle's parents. It was also filled with the best linens and embroideries and a small chest with a key tied to one of the handles. They placed the contents back into that basket and moved it to a corner of the room and placed a cloth over it. They would pass it on to the newly-weds when they arrived back from their honeymoon.