Chapter 15

The doctor had come to visit and allowed the tight bindings to be removed from Isabelle. She breathed deeply with a gratifying feeling of freedom. Her muscles had become stiff with having been immobilized but she knew that in time that too would heal.

"Isabelle you're not to lift anything heavier than an embroidery for a few more weeks. The bones have started to knit and any lifting may undo the healing." The doctor seemed stern but then a slight smile showed. "You're a strong woman and it's just as well! You'll be well again in no time." He patted her hand and turned to the door.

"Thank you doctor." Isabelle offered and then he disappeared into the passageway.

Simon, Amelia and Wesley had worked hard on getting the old house cleaned inside. It really didn't take too long to get most of the rooms livable. it had been three weeks since the accident and Simon and Amelia had decided that they would move into it the next day to relieve the Campbell's staff of the burden of caring for them. They could continue cleaning and fixing while living there.

After the evening meal, Sarah had been sent off to bed and the adults had gathered in the Library. Simon called for everyone's attention and with Amelia by his side he announced to all that they would be moving into the mostly renovated house on the morrow. Everyone was elated that the work had progresses so well and so quickly that the Jacobsons could now move to a home of their own.

"We'll be taking Isabelle so that you no longer have the burden of her care as well," announced Amelia.

The room went silent for a time. No-one had given a thought to the possibility of Isabelle going too. Magnus punched the seat cushion. His annoyance was not masked. James looked to his son and stepped toward him.

"Magnus, Isabelle is not married and her parents are now found. It is her family's responsibility to care for her. She will be sorely missed from our home but she will be living not  far away."

Magnus snorted and ground his teeth  and folded his arms across his chest. Isabelle had knots in her stomach and she struggled with her feelings. She had not thought the day would come when she would have to leave the Campbell Manor. Her parents had not told her of their intentions but she also knew that James was right, she had to go with her parents.

Joanna was packing Isabelle's things. Isabelle sat on the bed wringing her handkerchief in her hands. She was managing to keep the tears at bay but her heart was breaking. She would have to leave today to live with her parents. There were so many unknowns that she would be stepping into. Magnus would not be able to travel for some time yet as his leg was still healing. She would no longer have the friendly servants and staff of Campbell Manor to talk with and to help her. Isabelle realized that she was turning back to a lifestyle she had forgotten, one where she would have to cook and clean and sew. She would have to help with the chores both inside and out - back to a pauper's existence!

Joanna opened the bottom drawer of the chest of drawers and started to pack the items. From the back of the drawer Joanna pulled out numerous money pouches, some empty and others full. She took them to where Isabelle was sitting.

"Isabelle, I found these in the drawer..." an amazed Joanna spoke.

"Oh, Joanna, I had completely forgotten about them. I shall give them to my father when I arrive at the house. I'm sure he would be happy to use it to lighten his load for a while." Isabelle was glad to have something to offer her family's new start.

The last of Isabelle's things had been packed and the men had been called to take them to the cart. Zeus was set in harness and toeing the ground. He would be the horse her father would keep to use for his farming duties.