Chapter 3

Isabelle did not know how long she had slept but judging from the light coming through a small gap in the back wall it must have to be the middle of the day. She very aware of her saddle-soreness, her body ached. Isabelle gingerly made her way from where she had slept to the stall where Zeus had been secured. She twisted a handful of hay and used it to rub down the dried salty sweat from his coat. With great effort Isabelle placed the blanket and saddle on Zeus's sure back and he stood patiently as she fumbled with the girth and then the halter.

The skin on her back was stinging -a legacy of Lord Graystone's temper just a few days ago. This whipping wasn't as bad as he had previously done. Isabelle didn't now if he was mellowing or whether it was because she didn't cry out anymore. Her stays must have worn away at the partially healed wounds as she was riding and she knew she would need some attention to the injuries when she could eventually buy other clothes. her chemise would probably stick to the wounds as the fluids dried to scabs and that would mean someone would have to help her. She surely wouldn't be able to remove her underclothes without causing further injury otherwise.

Isabelle led the horse to a small stool and carefully stepped up on it, held firmly to the pommel and pulled herself up into the saddle. She knew they couldn't stay any longer. She felt by now that Lord Graystone would be searching for her. Walking Zeus to the door she bent down to unsecure the latch, swung open the door and Zeus passed through. he seemed to understand what she was doing and turned to pull the door, gripping the latch in his teeth.

"Thank you Zeus," she patted his strong neck and pulled him around to head towards the town. Her cloak had been placed across the front of the saddle as the day was quite pleasant. The sun was shining in the cloudless blue sky. There were birds chirping and winging their way through the tops of the grasses, chasing out insects. a gently warm breeze was moving her hair. It gave Isabelle a sense of security even though she knew she couldn't stop still to enjoy it.

The walk to town only took a few minutes. People were bustling through the streets and the girl soon realized that as she rode her horse through the streets the people were talking behind their hands and looking at her. Not looking... staring!

Isabelle rode down the main street until she found the shops. She dismounted, took one of the pouches from the saddlebag and made sure Zeus was well tethered near a trough. The scent of fresh bread drew her into the bakery. Looking at the wonderful array of baked goods made her stomach growl and she reached into her pouch and pulled out some money and paid for a loaf of bread. As she left the bakery she noticed another store nearby.

She entered casually and looked around at all the supplies and settled on some delicious looking jam and some dried meat. Isabelle also purchased a blanket and a sturdy bag in which to keep her supplies. She placed the jam, bread and meat in her bag and then placed the blanket on top. She headed out the door and stared back to where she had left her horse, Zeus, tied to a railing.

A woman tried to rush past and Isabelle reached out her hand and grabbed her arm.

"Please ma'am, tell me why you look at me as you do."

The woman made no attempt to pull free but seemed unable to voice her thoughts. A man stepped up and took the woman's arm from Isabelle's hand.

"M'lady..." he started, then gave a bow, looking her up and down,"...it's just that we don't see the likes of your good self in these parts. We're simple living folk..." he stopped speaking and excused himself from their brief conversation as a well built man in uniform approached. He bowed and started to introduce himself.

"Commander Mitchellton, at your service, ma'am."

Now it was her turn to be lost for words as she eyed this bold stranger.

"Could I have the honour of escorting you to our finest Hotel?" he said with a glimmering smile.

He bowed again and extended his hand towards her. Isabelle took a moment to compose herself. He had a glint in his eye that made her feel uncomfortable and his seeming forwardness rattled her.

"No thank you, Commander, I shall not be staying long. I've only come to obtain supplies and I must continue my journey." she said sharply.

She started again for her horse hoping that this man would allow her to walk away.

"Ma'am," It was the Commander again, "could I have the privilege of knowing your name?"

Isabelle turned on her heel and faced the Commander.

"Sir, my name is of no importance to you!" she retorted. She resumed her course of getting back to her horse and climbed up on his strong back. When she had settled herself back into the saddle the girl carefully manoeuvred Zeus, keeping a cautious distance, past the Commander who seemed insistent on stopping her exit from his town.

"Good-day, sir!" she snapped and kicked her mount to a steady trot. Isabelle felt very uneasy now, what with the stares of the townsfolk and then her encounter with the commander she felt she should move on quickly.

Once clear of the town Isabelle thought about the words and actions of the man who had freed the woman's arm from her grasp. Why did he look her up and down. She looked down at her blue silk dress and the man's words came back to her, "We don't see the likes of your good self in these parts." She felt the blood run from her face when she reflected upon the appearances of the townsfolk -dressed in modest apparel and very simple coarse fabrics. she must have looked like a lady of substance the way she was dressed.

A chill ran down her spine as she recounted the words and looks form the Commander. She was glad to be heading away as she was sure his intentions were anything but honourable toward a woman travelling on her own as she was. Zeus was kicked up to a gallop and Isabelle was carried swiftly on her way once more.