Chapter 8

Isabelle became stronger by the day and with the constant care of Mrs Prendergast the wounds were speedily healing. Magnus had only left her side these past few days when taken in hand by the doctor's wife and escorted outside. The day finally came that the wounds were almost healed and Isabelle had regained her strength to the most part. Mrs Prendergast had kept things in order. Isabelle's clothes had been laundered, pressed and carefully folded and placed in her trunk daily. The men were preparing the horses and carriage for the day's travel. They had acquired ample supplies to restock the food basket for the journey.

Magnus and his companions could hardly contain their delight as finally being able to take Isabelle from the doctor's surgery to enjoy her company unimpeded by Mrs Prendergast. The bright mood of the men seemed to match the day. What a beautiful day it was. Tobias was about to secure the clasp on the trunk when Mrs Prendergast waltzed in with the blue silk dress that Isabelle had been wearing when brought into the surgery. She draped it carefully onto the bed next to where Isabelle was sitting.

"My dear, I managed to get your beautiful dress cleaned and may I say, it has come up as good as new fabric. I wish I could say the same for your chemise and stays -I had to burn them. " She stated while fussing with the dress on the bed.

Isabelle placed her hand on Mrs Prendergast's and smiled at her. The good woman looked to Isabelle's face.

"You have done a wonderful job and I am grateful to you. You have given me the best of care, thank you."

The thanks from Isabelle seemed to flow from her soft warm hands to the well worked hands of the older woman. Mrs Prendergast beamed, she opened the trunk lid and carefully folded and packed the silk dress into the top of the trunk. She shut the lid and secured the catch. Tobias hefted the trunk to his shoulder and made his way out to the carriage. The women followed behind.

Magnus had paid the doctor for his services and was now cheerfully making his way to the carriage as well. They were saying their goodbyes when Mrs Prendergast handed a small pot of salve to Isabelle.

"Get your lady's maid to apply this sparingly to your healing skin each night. it will help to reduce the scar tissue."

"What is it?" Isabelle asked  as she lifted the covering and passed it under her nose. It smelled somewhat sweet, yet pungent and she wrinkled her nose and quickly placed the cover back on the small pot.

"It's a mixture of wild herbs and something else that my wife has kept secret even from me, but it certainly works. your scarring will be barely seen if seen at all when you've healed completely." It was the doctor's deep voice. "You've been a very cooperative patient and a pleasure to have." he continued, "May we meet again under better circumstances. God speed, my dear!"

Isabelle leaned forward and kissed the good Dr Prendergast on his cheek, then leaned to his wife and kissed her cheek also.

"Good bye and thank you once again." said Isabelle.

Magnus assisted Isabelle into the carriage then climbed in and took his seat opposite her. Tobias secured the door and he and Jacob took their places. a whistle and snap of the reins and the horses started along the road. Magnus sighed in relief -one more day of travel and they would be home.

"So do I finally get to know who you are Isabelle? Where did you live as a child? We only have this day now and things shall have to be more formal when I arrive home." There was pleading in Magnus's voice.

"It would seem to me Lord Campbell, that you have not volunteered much of your own detail and history." Isabelle's face was stern.

Magnus had cause to think a while. He thought through the many short conversations they'd had and realized they had been light and of no real informative content as to who either really was.