Chapter 4

Night was falling and Lord Graystone could no longer search for the girl in the fading light. He turned Samson towards the Manor and kicked him hard, flicking his riding crop as he did so. Samson was a wash with lather -distressed by the rough handling. He galloped toward home wanting to be rid of his cruel master.

The stable boy was waiting in the courtyard for the return of Lord Graystone and had a lamp already lighted so that he could work in the stable when night had fallen. Lord Graystone pulled up his frothing mount and left the boy scrambling for the reins. Poor Samson was glad to have the soothing pats from the boy as he was led gently into the stable. He was rubbed down and bedded down for the night.

Lord Graystone stomped into the house, his faithful servants scattering to stay out of reach of his flailing crop. Jesse ran just a little too slowly and felt the Master's crop tear through his shirt and cut the skin of his shoulder. He cried out with pain and as Graystone was lining Jesse up for another hit Jesse was pulled out of the way by Mrs Bullimore the housekeeper. Graystone's swing hit the side table, up-ending it and damaging the hand-carved ornamentation of its edge.

Graystone continued stomping his rage as he headed for his room. By now he was ranting and fuming and declaring that who-ever had helped the girl escape would be flogged until nearly dead. Then, .....suddenly, .....silence!

The staff went about straightening the entry way that had been placed in disarray by Lord Graystone's temper. They went about their duties as quietly as they could in order to not upset the silence that had fallen upon the Lord.

Albert carried the Lord's meal to his room and knocked on the door.

"Enter," Lord Graystone called out in a voice that was cracking.

"Your evening meal, sir," Albert announced, keeping a careful distance from the man he called 'Master'. he was used to his master suddenly bursting out in anger and taking his rage out on whoever was closest.

"Thank you," Lord Graystone replied quietly.

This was very unusual and Albert cautiously approached his Master. Lord Graystone's countenance was one of a broken man -the only other time Albert had seen him this way was when the woman Graystone had loved married another. Albert placed the tray on the small table which was next to the chair in which Lord Graystone was sitting hunched over, his head in his hands.

"Sir, would there be anything else?" Albert asked.

No, leave me! groaned Lord Graystone, waving the back of his hand at Albert as if to shoo him from the room.

Albert turned and left the room. The door clicked shut.

"Hugh Graystone, " he said to himself, "you ornery mongrel ... why would any woman desire you with your selfishness, pride, ... your TEMPER!" he growled.

He played with his food for a while before eating a morsel. Then continued,

"What has made you thus?"

He stood up and walked to the window. He peered out into the moonlit darkness, his heart tearing into pieces for the lack of love he had caused in his own life, for the loss of yet another woman he had grown to love in his own way.

It was then he realized the hot tears rolling down his cheeks.

"Isabelle..!." he cried the name out in pain into the night.

Lord Hugh Graystone returned to his chair, the tears flowed down his cheeks as if rivers were streaming from his eyes. His sobs could be heard from outside of his door but no-one dared to enter. He cried for seemed like an hour, until he was preparing to retire to his bed. He called his faithful servant Albert to his room,

"Albert, I have spent these many years being an utter fool," The tears welled in his eyes, "... and yet you have stood by me always. Will you forgive me?" His voice became broken and hoarse as the tears once again fell from his now swollen eyes.

"Will you help me?"

Albert was not sure how to answer this distressed man. Lord Graystone stood and took a few steps forward to stand swaying and unsteady in front of Albert.

"Albert, please help me!" he cried as he reached out to his man-servant and embraced him. Albert was taken aback with this show of desperation and need. He had never known this man to be kind or caring to anyone and now his master was begging him to help him. Albert couldn't help but blink back tears himself as he returned the embrace just as a parent would do to console an upset child.

"Yes, sir. I will do my best, sir." Albert choked through the emotion that was now welling up inside him.

"Please, sir, please get some rest now and I'll attend to you in the morning."

Albert ushered Lord Graystone over to his bed. He tucked his master into bed and snuffed the single candle that was lighting the room. Lord Graystone stared to sob quietly as his man-servant walked to the door, picking up the dinner tray as he went.

"Goodnight, sir." Albert spoke quietly as he left and closed the door behind him.

Sleep would not come easily to the fretful Lord Graystone. He mulled over his hate filled wasted years. The memories of the pain he had inflicted on so many came washing over him as if to consume his mind and send him mad. His very soul was wracked as he remembered the 'anniversaries' of whippings he'd dealt on the back of an innocent child, of her poor torn and bloodied flesh; the memories of Amelia and how she never held malice toward anyone. Oh, how he'd wasted so many years trying to cause her pain but only now realizing the torment he had caused for himself.

He pressed his face into his pillows wishing that the night would swallow him up. In the early hours of the morning sleep finally overtook the Lord of the Manor.

As the morning dawned Albert found his master still fast asleep and chose to leave him in his repose until called for.

It was past the mid-day meal when the staff and servants heard the calling of the master for his man-servant. Albert ran quickly not wanting to upset the master. Lord Graystone was sitting up in his bed.

"Albert, I don't feel well today, could you ....please... bring my meals to me here? I don't think I shall leave my room."

Albert bowed and said, "I shall return shortly with a meal for you, sir."

A genuine smile formed on the face of the formerly bitter Lord, a single tear rolled down his cheek.

"Albert, ...thank you!"

"You're welcome, sir." replied Albert with an unsure smile directed back to the Lord. He scuttled off to retrieve a meal from the kitchen. Lord Graystone stayed in his room for the entire day. He stood by the window and looked out upon the beauty which he had rarely stopped to notice let alone admire. It lifted his spirits somewhat for a time until the darkness once again blanketed his home.

Albert had been popping in at various intervals during the afternoon to see to Lord Graystone's needs. His Lordship had not bothered to dress and had pushed a chair by the window Albert was aware of the deep regret Lord Graystone felt, it was almost palpable - no such feeling had resided in the Lord's heart ever in Albert's years of memory. As the evening settled into the house Albert called in for one last time before intending to retire.

"Lord Graystone, would there be anything you would care for? Albert inquired.

"No, ....thankyou, Albert. I shall see you in the morning." replied the Lord.

Albert smiled and left his master's room. Lord Graystone snuffed his candle and retired to his bed. Deep sleep like none he'd ever known fell upon his emotionally exhausted body.