Chapter 10

"Magnus, I don't understand that Lord Whiteroad. He seems to have cut off his family completely from their daughter and sister Amelia. He denied knowing anything  of her whereabouts, but I wager pound to a penny that man knows exactly where she resides!"

Lord Campbell was pacing his study floor while he and Magnus discussed where they each had looked. Magnus was slouched in a chair with his feet up on the desk.

"Father, if I have your blessing to do so I would like to start searching in the towns and villages of the Riversdale Estate." requested Magnus as he sat upright.

"My son, you would have to be very wary. If you are found out by Lord Whiteroad you may just find yourself in diabolic strife." Lord Campbell slapped Magnus on the shoulder. " If you find yourself in need take the road through the forest. Look for a large pointy rock about waist height on the right side of the road, if you head onto the track that runs alongside about  half an hour steady walk you'll find an old stone house set back a ways. To my knowledge it is deserted and has been for sometime. You could take shelter there. It's outside of the Riversdale Estate so I doubt that ill-mannered man would venture there."

There was a brief pause in their conversation as Magnus tried to absorb the information and his father's counsel.

"I'll organize today and prepare to leave on the morrow then." said Magnus as he stood to leave the room.

"Oh, Magnus, I worry when  you're gone on these lengthy trips away." Lady Campbell looked at her son with pleading in her eyes, "This time you will be wandering into a very dangerous realm. I fear that you may not be preserved from strife."

"Mother, I will take all due care and caution. Father has provided me with information should I need a safe retreat." Magnus assured her.

"Where is Isabelle?" Wesley had come into the room, "...and I can't find Sarah either!"

"Wesley, you are to leave the women of this house well alone today!" Lord Campbell growled at his youngest son. "They've had enough of your bothersome presence for the time being!"

"So where is Isabelle and Sarah?" asked Magnus, just realizing he hadn't seen either since early in the day.

"Isabelle and Sarah have taken Joanna and gone for a walk and a picnic luncheon. I shouldn't expect them back here at the house for a few hours." replied his mother.

"Oh..., " was all Magnus could say, disappointment showing on his face.

His mother's eyes sparkled as she looked at her eldest son and Magnus could see a smile creep along her mouth. He blushed and his father started to laugh at seeing the blush move from Magnus's neck up to his cheeks. Wesley didn't quite understand what was going on and had a very puzzled look on his face.

"Come on Wesley, I think you should come with me." Lord Campbell snickered at the knowledge he had of Magnus's adoration of Isabelle.

Isabelle and Joanna were sitting under a shady tree as Sarah wandered around picking wild flowers and watching the insects dart around in the brilliant sunlight.

Isabelle turned to her lady's maid, "Joanna, have you ever looked at a man and had your insides flip and your heart beat like it wants to escape from your chest?" she asked.

Joanna gave a giggle.

"Yes, Isabelle, I had a beau once."

She stopped giggling as she thought about her beloved Nicholas and how he had been dragged off to prison, being a scape goat for a not so honest 'friend' of his. He was accused of stealing some precious items from a wealthy merchant. Joanna blinked back the tears that were welling and forced a smile.

"I felt like I could fly like a bird when he kissed me and I loved the safe, warm feeling I had when I was in his embrace." Joanna crossed her arms across her chest as she fondly remembered those loving arms of Nicholas around her and the warmth of his body. The look on her face turned somewhat somber and she dropped her hands into her lap.

"We were planning to wed before he was dragged off to prison, falsely accused of theft. That was four years ago and I haven't heard from him since. I know not if he is alive or dead."

"I'm sorry," Isabelle took Joanna's hands in hers.

Oh, but it is such a wonderful thing to be in love!" Joanna offered, "and I have seen the looks you get from Magnus - he loves you Isabelle!"

Isabelle blushed and smiled shyly.

"I believe I love him too." whispered Isabelle.

Sarah had tired of picking flowers now and had returned to sit with the women under the tree.

"Could we have something to eat, please, Joanna?" asked Sarah.

"What a splendid idea!" said Isabelle.

Joanna reached for the basket and placed the food out onto a small cloth and the three of them ate and talked light conversation.

Joanna could tell the time had come that they should head back to the house. Isabelle helped pack the things back into the basket. Joanna folded the cloth and put it back over the contents of the basket and Sarah placed her flowers on top of the cloth. The three walked happily back to the house.

Magnus waited for Isabelle to come to the Library. He had asked Joanna to tell her to come and see him before he left. Lady Campbell had spoken with Isabelle last night and told her of the possible danger of Magnus going to the Riversdale Estate. Isabelle had not slept well and hurried to dress when advised by Joanna that Magnus was awaiting her presence in the Library. Isabelle fell into Magnus's arms as she hastened through the door.

"Magnus, please be on guard during your search." Isabelle pleaded with him.

Magnus hugged her firmly.

"I will my dear Isabelle..."

He placed his lips close to hers. "I love you!" he whispered.

Isabelle closed her eyes as he gently kissed her and she relished the few moments they had in each others arms. As their lips parted Isabelle's eyes filled with tears. She reached her soft hands gently to his face and gazed up into his blue eyes.

"I love you, Magnus. Keep safe and God speed!" She pulled his head gently down and their lips met in a lingering kiss.

"Ahem,  excuse me." It was Lord Campbell.

Magnus held Isabelle firmly in his arms and kissed her forehead.

"I think, Magnus, that you should save a few kisses for your mother and sister. They are waiting outside to bid you farewell." his father said.

Magnus offered his arm to escort Isabelle out to where his mother and sister were waiting.

"Magnus, I shall miss you. don't be gone too long." Sarah hugged her brother and he kissed her gently on the head.

"Look after Wesley while I'm gone, Sarah."

Magnus reached over to his brother and scruffed his hair. Wesley wrinkled his face and placed a playful punch on Magnus's shoulder.

"Take care, mother, and try not to worry too much." Magnus hugged his mother, then turned to his father and hugged him too.

"Father," Magnus started, reaching over to Isabelle and taking her hand, "Please look after Isabelle while I'm gone." He passed Isabelle's hand to his father's hand and stepped away from the family gathering to climb into the carriage. James pulled Isabelle close in a loving fatherly hug as the carriage pulled away. Isabelle placed her face on James's chest and cried.