Chapter 2: Duty and Honor

You woken up bright and early so you had plenty of time to get ready for the journey ahead of you. Although you could definitely handle being dirty and messy like the men, you still preferred to start the day off clean, so you took a quick shower in the bathroom attached to the room. You took a moment to brush through your wet hair and braided it out of the way, throwing half of it up into a bun. You quickly got dressed into your armor and secured all your weapons into carefully concealed places before finally placing your cloak over your shoulders. You then walked into the living room in front of the fire and sat in a comfortable chair.

Bilbo was already awake and was making tea for everyone as they woke up. He handed you a warm mug and you nodded thankfully. You found comfort staring into the flames and sipping your drink.

"Well you sure are up early." a familiar voice said amusingly. Fili revealed himself from behind your chair and took a seat next to you while pulling out his pipe.

"I wanted to get an early start, and shower before the rest of you hogged the bathrooms." You laughed in response. He smiled at you and continued to smoke his pipe while watching the flame, enjoying the comforting presence of one another.

The sun began to rise as Thorin joined you and Fili in the living room. He wasted no time sitting down and pulling out his pipe. Others soon began to trickle out of the hobbit's spare rooms and grabbing some tea or breakfast before setting into the living room as well. The fire was only embers when the last of the company arrived and Thorin gave the command to move out. You all packed up our things and placed them on the ponies before setting out across the shire. Thorin set the steady pace and you took my place at the head of the pack, but stayed behind Thorin. Fili and Kili settled in on either side of you. Bilbo and Gandalf followed behind with the rest of the company trailing after him.

For several days the journey was eventless as you travelled through the night on many occasions. Many of the company found it hard to stay awake, they began nodding off on their ponies. You noticed and sped your pace up to match Thorin's. "Thorin," you said falling into step alongside him, "I think it would be wise to stop and rest, everyone is having trouble staying awake."

"You are right," he acknowledged and slowed his pony to a halt. "Let's set up camp along this clifface for the night," He shouted for the whole company to hear. He was met with nods of thanks as everyone hopped off their ponies and pulled out their bedrolls.

"Bofur, would you please get a fire going and have Bombour help you with some food." You asked politely, approaching the kind-faced dwarf.

"Of course my lady," he responded, bowing his head slightly. You decided to set up my bedroll in between Fili and Kili and Thorin was close by. Bofur came around a while later with some food which you ate gratefully.

You, Fili, Kili, and Thorin all laid with our backs on the ground and looked up into the night sky. Your bedrolls were turned so that your heads were all together and your formed a cross with your bodies. Kili was asleep shortly after and Fili nodded off as well.

Thorin was still awake but he made no sound. "Thorin?" you whispered.

"Yes?" he asked with a curious tone.

You turned over and leaned on your elbows so that you looked down at Thorin's frame. "I never thanked you for everything you have done for me, for treating me as your equal even though you don't have to. It means a lot to me that after all this time you still consider me a worthy companion." You finished slowly looking up to meet his eyes, his eyes were filled with admiration as he met yours.

Thorin rolled over to be on his elbows as well and he reached his hand out to gently place it on your cheek, "And I have never thanked you for staying by my side all of this time. I could not hope to have even begun this quest without your constant support. You will forever be my Queen, even if we have no mountain now," he finished and you closed your eyes leaning into his hand and placing a gentle kiss on his palm. You both rolled back over and stared up at the stars again.

You and Thorin were betrothed but with everything that happened since then, you never really talked about it. You stuck with each other out of duty and respect, but you were never sure if he intended on going through with the marriage now that there was not pressure from his father and grandfather, why would he share a throne if he did not have to? It was still nice to know that he truly cared and respected you, and you intended to follow him to whatever end awaited you.

"Goodnight Thorin," you whispered before closing my eyes.

"Goodnight, (Y/N)," he whispered back.