Chapter 16: The Last Stand

Fili and Kili looked at you across the trees, both trying to hang on, "what is he doing?" Fili exclaimed.

You shook your head, "buying us time."

"Alone?" Kili asked, "we have to help him."

"I tried to stop him, but everytime I move I lose my footing," you explained, "we're all stuck."

Fili and Kili looked at each other, attempting to devise a plan, but you let your eyes wander to Thorin. You saw him standing against Azog, the flames a beautiful background. He blocked blow after blow from the orc, but he was getting battered around. You tried to move again, tried to shift your weight enough to climb, but each time you lost your grip and teetered dangerously on the edge.

You watched Thorin again, it was only a matter of time before he was unable to block any more blows. He dropped to a knee, exhaustion overtaking him, You screamed Thorin's name as you saw him get knocked down and his sword thrown out of reach. You had no idea the strength you possessed, without even thinking, you let go of bark you were holding, using all your leg strength to push upwards before losing your balance. Fili saw what you were trying to do, in a desperate attempt he let go of his own branch and reached for you. He grabbed your arm and gave you just enough stability to pull yourself to the top of the trunk.

You held on to Fili, your weight the only thing off setting him from falling. You tried to pull him up, but you could not get enough leverage to support his weight.

"Go," he whispered, "it's ok, go."

You shook your head, looking between Fili and Thorin, both in need of your help. "I can't pull you up," you groaned, still trying to get the leverage to bring him topside.

Fili loosened his grip, "go, save Thorin."

"No!" you resolved, still trying to pull him up.

"It's ok," Fili whispered, his eyes never leaving yours, "save him, my queen."

You could feel him slipping through your fingers, "Fili, hang on."

Fili only looked at you, a sad smile on his face, "I love you." Without another word, Fili let go of his grip on your hand and you watched as his hand fell from yours.

"FILI!" you shouted into the dark sky.

Kili echoed your words as he searched the darkness for his brother. "No!" you cried out, feeling as if a piece of your heart had fell with him.

Kili's face was streaked with tears, but he pulled on your arm "save him!" he shouts, gesturing to Thorin who was now in mortal danger. Thorin lay on the ground, an orc towering above him, his sword too far from his side. You looked back into the dark sky where there was nothing and back to Thorin. Then, you choked back your sadness and pulled your sword from your side, rushing into the fray.

You easily cut through ranks of Orcs to make it to Thorin's position. He lay unconscious on the ground, but you could see the rise and fall of his chest. You stood in front of him protectively, facing down Azog the Defiler. "The King under the mountain in need of saving," he rebuked, "and by the Lady of Erebor no less." Azog laughed, "it will be my pleasure to kill you both."

You gripped your sword tightly, "the only blood spilled tonight will be yours."

Azog laughed loudly, his voice echoing, "goodbye, Lady of Erebor." He dismounted from his warg and approached you, his sword raised high above his head.

You took a deep breath, you had fought many enemies before, none quite like this, but you were strong, you had to be, you had to protect Thorin, you had to make Fili's sacrifice worth something.

You dropped into a defensive stance in front of Thorin, sword raised. Azog's wicked smile crept as he lunged at you. You blocked his advance, he was slow and his movements were practiced, you easily found the pattern in his attacks and used your quickness to your advantage.

You slid under his sword, sliding past his legs and slashing at the exposed skin there. Azog howled in pain as he turned around, but you were too quick, you placed another slash along his other leg earning another screech of pain from the orc.

Azog looked back to you angrily, his onslaught starting again, this time his anger fueled his strikes and they came heavier, more powerful than before. Azog hit you in the chest with the hilt of his blade, causing you to stumble and lose your breath.

Azog laughed as he hit you again, this time in the face. You stumbled back, falling to a knee, you raised a hand to your face, it came away slicked with blood. Despite the pain, you blocked it out, smiling at the defiler, your mouth covered in red blood. You must have looked deranged, but the fight had awoken a spirit in you that had been dormant for some time.

You charged the orc again, your quick advances holding him at bay. You sliced at the exposed skin of the pale orc, his black blood spilling from your blade as you continued.

You stopped, taking a deep breath and centering yourself. You looked beaten and bloody standing in front of a backdrop of flames, standing alone against the defiler. You gripped your sword tightly, ready for another attack, when you attention was drawn by a shape in the air.

You looked up in awe as the Eagles arrived, attacking the orc forces and carrying the company to safety. You watched an Eagle land and take Thorin's unconscious body from the ground and you smiled at Azog's frustrated howl.

You smiled at him again, the blood still dripping from your face. Then you turned and jumped off the edge of the cliff, landing safely on the back of an Eagle as it carried you away from the burning landscape.