Chapter 15: The Defiler

"How can this be?" you asked, "you said he was slain in Moria."

"I thought he was," Thorin whispered, clearly still in shock.

Fili and Kili turned to you, "what does this mean?" they asked.

Thorin said nothing, he just stared into the enemy ranks. "It means we are being hunted," you answered.

The pale orc moved wickedly, slowly moving in towards the company in the trees. "What do we do?" Fili asked.

You said nothing, instead you watched and tried to gauge the orcs' next move. "He'll bring down the trees," you whispered, "it is his only play."

"It's also a good one," Bilbo noted, "we have nowhere to go."

You continued to think for a moment before glancing across the trees to Gandalf who nodded to you knowingly. He had a plan, and you were pretty sure you knew what it was. "We just have to stall them," you continued, "we have to give Gandalf time to put his plans to action."

"How do you-" Thorin began, but you shook your head.

"It doesn't matter," you interrupted, "but we have to get to the cliff face."

"How?" Kili asked, "it's not like we can just walk there."

You smiled, "use the trees, go now, spread the word." Fili, Kili and Bilbo followed your instruction without hesitation, but Thorin grabbed your arm before you could follow them.

"What's going on?" he asked.

You smiled, "while I was recovering in Rivendell, Gandalf brought me books to read. Within them was a story about the Eagles, the ones who will carry you in times of need," you explained, "Gandalf has called upon them to help us, but we have to bide them time."

Thorin nodded in understanding, "after you my lady." You smiled and began to jump across branches making your way to the rest of the company that now gathered on the final tree overlooking the steep drop below. You settled onto a branch near Thorin and Gandalf and turned to gaze upon the orc forces.

To your horror, they had already broken through the lines of trees, cutting them down and burning them to eliminate the obstacle. The trees now fell to the wayside, flames engulfing them as the pale orc moved forward.

"I have been looking for you, Thorin son of Thrain," he shouted above the commotion. Now nothing stood in between you and Azog but open grass and flames. "Bring it down!" Azog shouted pointing at the final tree.

Thorin looked at you in fear, "where are the Eagles?"

"Does it look like they give an ETA?" you shouted back. Warg riders descended upon the tree as they hacked and pushed on the bark. The tree began to tip over the edge of the cliff, its strong roots now the only thing keeping you all from falling into the abyss.

As the tree tipped more and more, it became harder to hold on to the branches. You saw Throin slipping on the bark as the tree now lay nearly flat across the ground, overhanging the steep drop. You pushed off from your spot and gripped Thorin tightly, using all your strength to push him forward giving him a more firm footing on the tree.

In the process of saving Thorin, you lost your footing and now struggled to keep your balance on the trunk of the tree. Thorin looked at you desperately, but you shook your head, using your strength to hang on. You nodded in the direction of the orcs, Azog now bearing down on the company as you all struggled to remain on the tree.

Thorin looked back at you, a sparkle in his eye that might have been a tear. You knew that look, it was the look he gave you when he resolved to take the mountain, no matter the cost.

"Thorin, no," you called to him, trying to reach for his arm but you were unable to without losing your grip on the tree.

He looked at you with a sad smile, "I will give you the time you need to escape, it is I that Azog wants."

You shook your head desperately, "please Thorin, you don't have to do this."

He nodded, "I do, this is the only way. Reclaim the mountain, (Y/N), we both know you were born to rule."

You opened your mouth to contest, but he had already turned away, gripping his sword and walking towards solid ground and the onslaught of orcs. You watched his back as he gracefully approached the enemy fearlessly.