Chapter 17: The Oldest Brother (Flashback)

While the ride on the back of the eagles was uneventful, you could not help but reflect on your loss and a tear came to your eye as you thought of Fili.

Several months had gone by since your betrothal to Thorin, he spent much time with you now, trying to earn back your trust. You had just started to let go of his betrayal when he decided to introduce you to his oldest nephew - Fili.

"Come (Y/N)," Thorin said, taking you hand and guiding you through the mountain, "father says that Fili has just arrived from his travels."

"Now is Fili the younger one, or?" you asked, trying to remember his family tree.

Thorin chuckled, "no, the older one."

You smiled, "got it."

Thorin continued to pull you along until you were standing at the front gate and a young dwarf with light brown hair walked directly to Thorin and embraced him. "Mother sends her love, Uncle," he said with a smile, "and Kili will venturing here in time, Mother is still worried about him."

Thorin smiled, "he is still young, I understand. It is good to see you."

Fili's eyes finally landed on you and a smile crept on his lips, "I haven't had the pleasure," he said, holding out his hand for you, "Fili."

You placed your hand in his, "(Y/N)," you responded.

Thorin moved next to you, looping your arm through his, "Fili, this is the princess I was telling you about, my betrothed."

Fili finally looked to his uncle with a nod, "ah, of course. A pleasure to finally meet you."

You chuckled at Thorin's apparent protectiveness, but nodded to Fili, "the pleasure is mine."

Suddenly, Thrain burst through a passage, running up to Thorin, "son, we are needed in the throne room," he said breathlessly, "your grandfather received word from Dane."

Thorin looked between you and his father nervously, "go," you said, unlooping your arm from his, "Fili can keep me company for the day."

Thorin nodded and quickly followed his father through another passage. "What was that about?" Fili asked, moving to stand next to you.

You shook your head, "Dane is trying to start a war with the elves, he is refusing to listen to the King."

Fili chuckled, "that sounds like Dane, but how come you didn't join them?"

You turned to him, "my betrothal to your uncle doesn't really award me much status until we are officially married. I attend meetings and parties and am privy to some information, but not all of it."

Fili nodded in understanding, "so you remain in the mountain, but don't do anything."

You laughed at his simplification, "truthfully, it is not what I had in mind for myself either."

Fili smiled, "I was planning on riding through the countryside today, would you like to take a break from politics and join me?"

You thought for a moment before smiling, "sounds great."

In no time at all, Fili had two ponies by the reins and was leading you both out of the city and into the trees. It was still protected by Erebor, but it was a welcome break from the stone walls.

"So, tell me about yourself, princess," Fili asked, "or is future queen more appropriate?"

You shook your head with a laugh, "(Y/N), is just fine," you responded, "and there is not much to tell. I was the head of the army from the Glittering Caves, then my parents betrothed me to Thorin for a better trade route to Erebor. Now I live here."

"You were the head of your army?" Fili asked.

When you talked about your military experience, most others would ignore it and instead talk to you about politics, wedding details and all manner of other things. But out of everything, Fili focused on your skills, the thing that made you unique.

You smiled, "yes, I led my people into many battles. It is my greatest honor to have led them."

Fili smiled, "I've been in skirmishes before, but never a real war, what is it like?"

"It is a rush of adrenaline really," you responded, "your instincts take over and your body seems to move on its own, I don't remember much from the heat of the moment. But that rush, it's a feeling unlike any other."

Fili smiled as you continued to chat, talking about your experiences and getting to know one another. Fili quickly became someone you wanted to know, wanted to trust. He was unlike any other that you had met in Erebor and you liked his presence.

"We should head back," you said as you pulled the ponies along a river for a drink, "it is getting dark."

Fili nodded and you both started to make your way back to the mountain, side by side.

When you arrived, Thorin was sitting in the stables waiting for you. He jumped right up when he saw you, "where have you been, I came looking for you?"

You hopped off the pony and handed the reins to a stable boy, "I went for a ride with Fili," you responded.

Fili was at your side the next moment, "I let the guard know where we were going, uncle."

Thorin's eyes softened when he saw how relaxed you looked. He knew that the political life was stressful for you and that you often regretted being there. He was happy that you found something to relax you. He rubbed his hands along your arms, "of course, did you enjoy the fresh air."

You smiled, "very much."

Fili awkwardly watched the exchange before barreling past, "come on, I'm starving."

You and Thorin laughed as you chased Fili back into the mountain. From that moment on Fili became your greatest friend and the one you went to when life got to be too much.