Chapter 12: The Goblin Tunnels

The darkness gave way to bright orange lights as you hit the ground hard. You stood up quickly, the others around you doing the same. You took a moment to try to make our your surroundings, the orange light bathed everything and you realized that it was not ground you hit, but wooden platforms suspended in the air. A quick glance downwards showed that the abyss below you was endless.

"Where are we?" Bofur asked, as the others came to their senses.

"Deep inside the mountain," you responded.

"But, how?" Kili asked, moving to stand beside you and Fili.

Before you could answer a host of goblins descended on you, pushing you all forward across the wooden platforms. At first you all pushed against them, but there were so many that it was useless to fight. Thorin grabbed your arm, pulling you to the center of the group, letting the rest of the company shield both of you.

"They can't see us," he whispered, "if they recognize us, they will suspect our mission."

You nodded in understanding and kept your head low, blending in with the others. After a short walk, everyone stopped. You looked up to see a large fat Goblin sitting on a makeshift throne. "What are Dwarves doing here?" the Goblin king asked.

No one spoke, "if you will not talk, we will make you squawk!" he shouted, "bring up the bone breaker!"

"Thorin, we have to do something?" You whispered as goblins started to move you all again.

"We can't," he responded, panic setting in.

You shook your head, "they won't recognize me." You stood up straighter, but Thorin pulled your arm, pulling you down.

"No," he said frantically, "that is a risk I am unwilling to take."

You pulled against him, "it's not your risk."

Thorin let go of your arm, and you stood tall, "wait!" you shouted above the commotion. The company parted for you to walk forward, Thorin melted into the shadows of the others. Fili and Kili moved to stand on either side of you, offering you a form of protection as you approached the goblin king.

"We are simple merchants traveling to the Iron Hills," you explained, "in exchange for safe passage through the mountain we would be happy to bring back treasures from the kingdom there."

The goblin scratched his head, seemingly thinking about the offer, "and what kinds of treasures are you willing to trade?"

You nodded, "gold, fine gems, iron forged weapons," you replied, "gifts far beyond the wealth of anything in this mountain."

The king pondered for a moment, but nodded, "I acc-"

Before he could finish, a messenger ran to his feet, declaring loudly, "a message from the pale Orc sir," he began, "he has received word that a band of Dwarves led by Oakenshield was on the Bruenen near Rivendell. He suspects they will try to take the mountain pass to Lake Town."

The goblin king laughed, "simple merchants, I think not."

"Our offer still stands-" you tried to get out, but the king was already speaking to the messenger.

"Send word to the Defiler, tell him we have the dwarves in our company," he explained. The messenger took off and the King turned his attention to you. "If this company is lead by Oakenshield, I must suspect that you are Lady of Erebor, (Y/N) daughter of Balmir. A legend of the Glittering Caves before being betrothed to a prince."

Fili and Kili moved a step closer to you, each of them moving in defensively as the rest of the company also came closer, defending their leader.

"You can still accept my offer," you said, drawing yourself up to an imposing stance, "I recommend you not start something you cannot finish."

The king laughed again, "search them! And find Oakenshield!"

Chaos ensued as goblins began pushing you around. Thorin remained hidden for now, but it was only a matter of time before he was discovered hiding among the rest. You, Fili and Kili started moving in, trying to create separation from the goblin ranks and Thorin. Fili was dragged away from three goblins. You reached for him, but the Goblin King grabbed your arm, "such a pretty prize."

You clawed at his arm, trying to pull away from him as he dragged you forward, "Oakenshield, I have your prize, come out and claim her!" he shouted. You pulled away from him again, but he used his other hand to push you forward. You landed on the ground in front of him hard, the wind knocked from you for a moment.

One of the goblin guards handed the king a staff of iron with a sharp point. He raised it above his head, there was nothing you could do but watch as you tried to regain your breath. "Such a shame," the king mused.

In a flash, Thorin had emerged from the shadows, closing the distance between you and standing over your body. The Goblin king laughed again, setting the iron staff down, "welcome to the party Thorin, son of Thrain."

Thorin knelt down and picked you up, pulling you tightly to his chest as you stood, "why would you do that?" you asked, still holding him close.

"I told you, you will always have me to count on," he said, a loving look on his face.

"Touching," The king interrupted, "but the pale Orc should arrive soon enough, and then you will meet your end."

"We have to fight," you whispered, shifting your weight to stand on your own, "we have to make a stand."

Thorin nodded, the rest of the company looking on, ready to fight to the death. But before you could, there was a flash of white light and a rush of wind that nearly knocked you from your feet.

You clung to Thorin as you looked for the source of the light. From the darkness a familiar silhouette approached. As the white light subsided you could make out the frame of Gandalf.

"Take up arms," he said, "Fight! FIGHT!"