Chapter 8: The Council of Wizards

You remained in Rivendell for a few days, resting and recovering. Thanks to elvish medicine, you recovered rather quickly, the swollen cut on your arm now little more than a scar.

Throin had hardly left your side, always bringing you food, water, books, anything to keep you from becoming restless. You were sitting in the room with Gandalf, reading a book from Elrond's library when Gandalf cleared his throat, breaking your concentration.

"Lord Elrond has summoned a council in the high tower," he said, "would you join me?"

You shook your head, "now that Thorin knows of the text of the moon ruins, I imagine he will want to get moving tonight."

Gandalf sat up seriously, "as he should."

You looked at him suspiciously, "what aren't you telling me?"

"Lord Saruman has arrived in Rivendell, he will not condone such a quest," Gandalf explained.

"Then why ask me to join you?" you asked.

Gandalf smiled, "because if anyone can convince Saruman of the importance of the quest, it is you."

You smiled at him in thanks, but shook your head, "I cannot speak for my king, or for my people, if you need a representative, Thorin should go."

Gandalf leaned back and brought his pipe to his lips, "Thorin does not have the patience for politics, or for making alliances."

You nodded, "I will go with you, but when Thorin leaves, I will be with him."

Gandalf smiled, "agreed."

—----------------------------------------

Some time later, Thorin was in the room with you explaining the next moves. "We will head into the mountains, make it to the edges of the Old Forest Road and turn towards Esgaroth."

You nodded, "how do you plan on getting across the lake, Laketown will not help us?"

Thorin contemplated, "we'll need a smuggler."

You looked on distantly, Thorin noticed, "what's on your mind?"

You smiled at him, knowing you couldn't hide it, "Gandalf has asked me to join him in a meeting with the White Wizard, to speak on behalf of our quest."

Thorin looked shocked, "I will go with you."

You shook your head, "Gandalf thinks that Saruman will not condone a quest, that he will try to stop you from leaving here, he thinks I can convince him otherwise."

Thorin nodded in understanding, "then I should go with you."

You grabbed his hand, "no, I am going as a distraction, I cannot convince the white wizard, I have heard stories of him. You take the opportunity to leave, to make it into the mountain pass and I will meet you there."

"Does Gandalf know this?" he asked.

You smiled mischievously, "no, that's why it's the perfect escape."

Thorin thought for a moment, but nodded, "we won't go far until you join us."

You smiled, "I know, now get everyone ready to move, Gandalf will be here soon."

—------------------------

A few minutes later, you followed behind Gandalf as he led you through the halls of Rivendell. It was like a maze to get to the balcony where you would be meeting, but once you arrived, you realized everyone else had gathered.

You stood next to Gandalf, your head held high and your sword still strapped to your hip. Gandalf cleared his throat, "please allow me to introduce (Y/N), the Lady of Erebor," he said respectfully, "(Y/N), this is The Lady Galadriel, Saruman the White, and of course you already know Lord Elrond."

You nodded to each of them in turn, "a pleasure," you said in your best diplomatic voice.

"Please, my Lady, have a seat," Saurman said politely, gesturing to a chair next to Galadriel.

She smiled at you, "it is so nice to meet you, Mithrandier has told me so much about you."

You smiled to her as you took a seat, Galadriel had a beautiful warmness radiating from her, but Saruman was dark and clouded although he tried to disguise it with pleasantries.

"We should get right to business," Elrond said, taking a seat at the head of the table, "you are all aware that Thorin Oakenshield has arrived here and is seeking a way into the mountain."

"Not just the mountain," you corrected, "Erebor is our home, and his birthright."

Elrond nodded in understanding, but it was Saruman who continued, "The mountain has long since been abandoned since the dragon arrived, why go now?"

You thought for a moment, you knew why, but you did not trust these people to know the true reason, to know that Thorin intended to unite the Dwarvish kingdoms again. "We had always wanted our home back, but the dragon Smaug has not been seen for nearly 60 years," you explained, "others have looked to our home assessing the wealth, weighing the risk. The gold in that mountain, the throne, it all belongs to our people, and perhaps it is now unprotected. That is why now, that is why we march to our home, I do not know if the dragon still lives, but I am willing to die to find out if it also means protecting it from looters."

"Spoken like a true leader," Saurman stated, "a warrior."

You nodded thinking it was respect, but Saurman's next words were said with malice, "I cannot condone such a quest, it was wrong of Gandalf to instill this hope in your minds, I must tell you now to turn around and turn away from the mountain."

You laughed, a hearty and sarcastic one, standing up from your seat, "I don't remember asking for your permission." Saurman opened his mouth to speak but you continued, "it is not for a wizard to tell us when and how we can reclaim our home, our wealth, our place. It is not for a wizard to tell us we must turn back. We will march upon the mountain or we will die trying. You can try to stop us, you can stand against us, but we will not stop and we will not surrender."

Saruman looked speechless as you walked out of the balcony, back towards the hallway. You turned around with a smile on your face, addressing Galadriel and Elrond, "a pleasure to meet both of you." Then you disappeared without another glance.

Gandalf chuckled as he brought his pipe to his lips, "I told you," he smiled at Galadriel, "she is strong."

Galadriel nodded, an amused smile on her face, "indeed."

Saruman finally regained his ability to speak as he cleared his throat, "there is another matter at hand, tell me what you know about the Necromancer."