Chapter 10: Betrothed to a King (FLASHBACK)

You sat upon a beautiful pony as you trailed behind your parents on your way to Erebor. Your father said there was something special waiting for you there, you dreamed it was fine gems or new jewels, what else could there be in the mountain that you wished to possess.

Behind you trailed some merchants from your city, they brought items of fealty to King Thror. The wagons behind them carried iron forged weapons, crops and aged ale from our kingdom.

Your father was the Lord of the Glittering Caves, he carried immense wealth from the iron rich deposits in your kingdom, because of that, your family was well respected among other dwarven kingdoms.

As you rounded a corner on the Great East Road, the Lonely Mountain fell into view. It sat beautiful against the sunset sky, a true beauty for the king. You could gaze at the magnificence of the mountain for hours.

You finally arrived at the gate to the mountain, it was lowered for you and your people as you entered Erebor. It was even more beautiful on the inside, halls filled with golden light, gray stone lining every wall.

You followed close behind your parents after you handed the reins of your pony to the stable boy. "Beautiful isn't it?" your mother whispered. You nodded, still admiring the intricate stone work.

Your father and mother broke away from a moment, speaking with Thrain in hushed tones. You stood back a ways from them, taking in the view around you, the inside of the mountain was much bigger than you thought.

"First time inside?" a deep voice asked next to you.

You jumped slightly, then laughed, "yes, it is all so beautiful." You turned to see the body attached to the voice. You came face to face with a muscular dwarf with long dark hair, he had a smile on his face.

He held out his hand to you, which you hesitantly took, "I'm-"

"I know who you are," he interpreted, "Lady (Y/N), of the Glittering Caves. It is nice to see you make the trip to Erebor."

You nodded, "I was never one to leave my kingdom, when father and mother made the trips here, someone had to stay behind to defend our home."

"I was under the impression the caves had a standing army, well equipped at that," he responded.

You chuckled, "we do, I lead them."

He looked taken aback for a moment, "you are the head of your army? A princess?"

You shook your head, "a princess who does not like princess things I suppose, I am much more useful in battle than in politics."

"Then why have you come now?" he asked.

You shrugged, "my father said he had something here for me, although he refuses to tell me what it is."

The dark haired dwarf looked amused, like he knew something you did not, "we'll whatever it is, I am sure it was worth the journey."

You opened your mouth to ask him what he knew, but your mother called your name from across the room. You nodded to her and turned back to the dark-haired dwarf, "it was nice to meet you,-" you said, waiting for him to tell you his name.

He chuckled lightly, taking your hand in his and bringing it up to his lips, "nice to meet you, Princess." Then he melted back into shadow disappearing without giving a name. You smiled for a moment at the thought of him, before turning and heading towards your mother.

She wrapped an arm around your shoulder as you trailed after your father. "Where are we going?" you asked as your father led you up several sets of stairs.

"The throne of the King," your mother answered, "you'll find your father's gift there," she teased.

You rolled your eyes, "what could I want from there?"

Your mother just giggled excitedly as you continued to make your way through the mountain. Then you came upon a large throne, sitting above the bustling halls of Erebor. All three of you bowed low to the King as he nodded in respect. Thrain was at his side now, standing as stoic as his father.

"Welcome, Lord Balmir, Lady Amdir and Lady (Y/N), ruling family of the Glittering Caves," Thror said, his voice echoing off the stone walls, "it is a great pleasure to have you in Erebor."

Your father nodded in respect, "it is great to see you, my King, it has been far too long since last we met."

Thror nodded and continued, "my son has told me the reason you have made this journey, a fitting arrangement indeed."

You looked from your mother to your father in confusion before whispering in your mother's ear, "what arrangement?"

Mother said nothing, instead listening as Thrain and your father spoke, "indeed, may I present to you for the first time, my daughter, (Y/N)," he said, gesturing for you to come stand next to him.

You brushed off your face of confusion and smiled, bowing low at the foot of King Thror, "a true pleasure to meet you, King under the Mountain."

Thror smiled to you warmly, "a beauty for sure," he said, nodding to Thrain, "excellent choice."

You turned to your father, "what is going on?"

He wrapped an arm around your shoulders, "my dear, you are going to marry a prince."

"WHAT?"