Chapter 21

The students were on their internships this week, and you and the other teachers had a significant amount of free time. Most of the free time was spent on more teacher work, but at least you didn't have hero work on top of that like your colleagues. You sighed, both relieved about that fact and from fatigue. You hadn't slept in a while and you were really feeling the effects again.

You yawned as you walled back home from Anteiku. You had bought a quick dinner from Panda Express, fried noodles, before mentally slapping yourself when you remembered that you still had unfinished leftovers at home. Ah, well, you'll enjoy the fortune cookie.

A sudden movement from underneath a car caught your attention, snapping you out of your thoughts. Dark black eyes caught the dim lights around and peered at you from underneath.

"Oh, hello." For a moment you thought it was Nezu, small and white and with a tiny nose— but no, it was just a cat. You silently giggled to yourself at the thought of the principal there, then crouched down underneath the car, offering your hand.

The cat stuck out its nose, barely making contact with your hand, and for a moment he seemed to contemplate whether or not to come out from under the safety of the car. Eventually, though, he did, the tail straight out behind him.

You weren't sure if he was a he— but a small dirty white collar on him seemed to confirm it with the name 'Max'. His fur was dirty but he wasn't very skinny, so you assumed he hadn't been out here for too long.

"Sorry I don't have any food for you with me," you murmured, petting him. He was still interacting with you, so he still had trust in humans, thankfully. "I do have some cooked chicken at home if you'd like to follow me there."

You stood, not knowing if the cat understood you, and started walking. You smiled, seeing him slowly following you when you looked over your shoulder.

Eventually you caught sight of your home, with a figure standing next to the door. Thinking it was Eraserhead, you curiously wondered what he was doing here. However, as you got closer, you noticed a more feminine figure and brown hair. You slowed down, cautious.

"Aiko?" You stopped, unsure of what she wanted and going on defense. She was the one that taught you close combat, with your own improvisation, so you somewhat doubted that you could take her down in a fight. On the other hand, you did improve a lot over the years. But why would she want to fight anyway? You had thought that they'd given up on the Nomu project.

She looked up, then waved when she recognized you.

"Hey. Can we talk?" She seemed worried, as if she was afraid you would chase her away. She eyed the cat behind you, smiling gently and then looking up back at you. "Please. Hear me out?"

Seeing that she seemed fairly harmless and passive, you relaxed and continued forward. You shrugged, awkwardly struggling to fit the key in the lock while also handling the takeout in your hands. Being sleep deprived didn't help either.

When you finally got it open, you went in and set the food down, nodding to Aiko to come in as you headed to the kitchen. If she were to attack you, you would be at a disadvantage due to you being too tired and sleepy.

You left the door open just a crack and Max sat down outside, starting to groom himself.

"So, what's up?" you asked. You saw her sit down at the couch while you rummaged through your fridge for the leftover chicken from lunch. You got a bowl and prepared to heat it up in the microwave. "It's been a while."

"It has." Aiko looked around nervously. "I wanted to talk to you about Katsumi and Shigaraki. And life in general, I guess. Just a friendly talk, y'know?"

The microwave beeped before you thought of an answer. You silently walked outside and set the bowl down, seeing that the white cat was still there. You smiled, giving him a good scratch at the neck before heading back in and meeting Aiko's eyes.

"Well, first off," Aiko started, seeing that you weren't preoccupied now. "I want to apologize for the... er... kidnapping? I was going with what Katsumi and Sensei was saying and got Ethan to attempt to get you... with... my quirk. I'm sorry."

She fidgeted with her fingers, eyes downcast. You trusted her. Well, maybe you shouldn't now, after what she did recently, and what you told Eraserhead, but.... She had helped you countless times in the past, and then only separated because of her assigned mission from Sensei and her relationship with Katsumi. Maybe you should avoid telling her that you basically sent Eraserhead after them.

"It's alright. I wanted to give my quirk. It's done more harm than good, to be honest. And I haven't really been keeping in touch with them." You sat down across from her, a lighthearted smile on your face. The way the light shone darkened her face, but not in an evil way. It was more of a sad and emotional expression. You'll listen to her.

Seeing your soft smile, she seemed to relax a bit. "Katsumi, Miki, and I talked to Sensei recently and learned that the 'ultimate Nomu' idea wouldn't have worked anyway. To transfer quirks, it was a combination of science and Sensei's quirk to take and give it. Since your quirk negates that, Sensei's quirk wouldn't work."

"I thought it was just some sort of scientific drug or machine that did it," you mused. "How come he didn't know about this or told you about this until now?"

"I guess he thought that the machine would have been enough." She shrugged with a small smile. "Katsumi got quite frustrated about it and because the ultimate Nomu idea wouldn't work."

"Figures." You smiled. "He's a stubborn guy that likes to plan out everything. That's why you like him, right?"

"Stubbornness and all." She laughed. "He's alright, of course, and worked something out. He's sorry too, for messing with you, even though he won't say it."

"How do you know?"

"My quirk. I don't usually use it on him, but I wanted to know if he was in a seriously angry bad mood or an 'I'm mad but I'm good' bad mood, if you know what I mean." Seeing you nod with a giggle, she continued. "Relationships are complicated but my quirk kinda helps with knowing these things. But sometimes I think I'd rather find out his emotions without my quirk... but also what if I mess up with reading him wrong and things go south?"

"I'm sure he trusts you to allow you to use your quirk on him," you assured. "I think it'll help the relationship for the better. Not that I have any experience."

She followed on your small laugh, taking the chance to change the atmosphere. "Really? A person like you has caught no eyes?" She looked at you curiously, a glint in her eyes. "What about the other way around?"

"Man, I hate the Cupid side of you," you said jokingly. "I never really had love interests."

"True, but the last time we talked you probably didn't meet enough people to know these things. Just Shigaraki and Ethan, but they're more like brothers to you, right?

"Yeah." You pursed your lips, pausing for a moment. "Well, to be honest, there's a cool guy but it's not a love situation. Even if it were, there's no way he's interested."

"Oh?" She gave you a mischievous smile. "People always deny if it's love and mistake it for liking. My quirk can differentiate between that. Would you like some help with that indecision?"

You shrugged. You didn't think you really were into him. You didn't care for looks either way. He's just a cool guy, that's all. That really cared for his students. And worked hard. And was dedicated to what he did. And was truthful, albeit blunt.

You suddenly looked away from her, hit with sudden realization.

"Well?" Aiko raised an eyebrow at you, a small smile on her face.

"Well." You sighed.