Chapter 31

You and Kayama watched a few of the other students' results afterward, becoming more and more impressed with how much they've grown. Despite some failing, you could tell how much they were trying, giving it their all. You contemplated a bit on what to do with the students, then headed for home.

With the usual Panda Express stop on your way home, you realized you felt a bit hungrier than usual. Perhaps it was from the exams. You didn't usually get this tired, though, even with the close combat training with the students that needed the extra help.

Anyhow, you'll enjoy the food. Before you could make it back home, however, a strange scent reached your nose. You got a bad feeling about this.

A small breeze from above made you look up just before a wave of blue fire engulfed you. You just barely saved your food from being lit on fire by moving to the side and swinging the bag out of the way. It was quirk fire, thankfully, so it didn't hurt you.

In the spot you previously were, a young man with dark hair and strange purple scars stood.

"They weren't lying about you being immune," the stranger mused, a smirk on his face. The fire around him dispersed, but his icy eyes seemed to burn with hatred... but it didn't seem to be directed at you. "Hey, [L/N]."

"Who the fuck are you?"

"That handy man hasn't told you yet? Figures." The man took a few steps closer to you. "You know Giran?"

You nodded, paused, then nodded more confidently, understanding. Tomura—or rather Sensei or the doctor—must be gathering more people. Villains. "And again who the fuck are you and why are you attacking me?"

"I just thought I'd test out how your quirk works. It's quite an interesting one." He shrugged. "And pass a message from Kurogiri. Apparently the handy man misses you."

You raised an eyebrow. If Kurogiri wanted to tell you that, he could do so himself, not send a messenger.

"How he could miss someone, I have no idea," the man continued. "Although it's not like I have an idea of what your relationship is."

"It's none of your business anyway." You huffed. "I'm immune to quirks. What's so peculiar about that?" Contact with the villains is the worst thing that could happen to you right now.

Thankfully, the man seemed to be walking away as well. "Nothing much. I'll see you another time then, I guess."

"Wait, what's your name?" you called. "You're just gonna leave like that?"

"Dabi."

You watched as he disappeared around a corner, completely in disbelief at what just happened. "Well, shit. They're up to something again." You sighed, then picked up your dinner. "Do I even want to know what?"

You thought about this Dabi guy for a while longer as you walked home before your mind drifted off to Tomura. If he really did miss you, why didn't he just text you? Well, maybe for safety. And how does Kurogiri know? Though, he always was the observant one, even with emotions, and especially with Tomura. But why did he tell Dabi to send the message? Perhaps everyone else was busy, and Dabi just so happened to be free and be interested in your quirk. He did seem quite chaotic, and you wouldn't be surprised if he came just to test his quirk on you.

You sighed frustratedly, reaching home with half-assed answers to your own questions. Unpacking your meal, you grabbed your phone and hovered over Tomura's contact for a brief moment before texting.

You:
Heyo

You set your phone to the side and snapped the wooden chopsticks apart. You were about to dig into your rice and chicken when your phone buzzed. "That was quick," you said to yourself, surprised.

Tomura:
Hi
What do you want?

Well. That wasn't the tone you were expecting. But then again, this was text.

You:
Just checking up on my lil brother
It's been a while since I visited
Missing me?

There was a long silence as you waited, so you started eating, keeping your eyes on the messages.

Tomura:
Yeah
Giran just introduced me to two idiots
They're idiots

You giggled a bit at his double use of "idiot". You could see why, considering the arrogance of Dabi.

You:
I met one of them
Dabi
Rude guy, wanted to test my quirk with his fire or something
I can see why you hate them

Tomura:
I'm gonna fucking turn him to dust

You:
I doubt Kurogiri would allow that
I'm sure Sensei suggested to get along as well

Tomura:
Who knows
I just want them gone
They're annoying
They're obsessed with that hero killer stain too
What's so great about him?

Oh, right. He must hate that Stain reached so many more people than he did despite his villainous crimes that happened at the same time and place.

You:
I mean, he has a point
An objective, I mean
Ideology
You don't, do you?

You kind of hoped that Tomura would slowly fall away from Sensei and villainy, but you knew he was indebted to Sensei. He'd do anything for his hero.

You could see that Tomura was typing something, then stopped. The message never came back, and you set the phone down again. Did you say something wrong? Or rather, something true that Tomura wanted to deny was true?

You finished your dinner and there was still no reply.

Again, you had this gnawing feeling of guilt in your stomach. Villains were planning things and you wanted to know it. You wanted to tell the heroes to avoid the future conflict it would bring. But... you didn't know what the plans were. And you didn't want to know, so that you'd have nothing to say. You couldn't just pick a side.