Chapter 23

You were about to dismiss yourself from Eraserhead to go in the pet shop you two passed by when he parted from you to go in instead.

You raised an eyebrow and gave a questioning hum, following him.

"I need to buy cat food," he answered shortly. He returned the questioning gaze. "You can head home by yourself, no?"

"Same thing here. A lost cat appeared near my place and I saw him there this morning." You chuckled. "I'm guessing he'll be there for a while since I gave him food."

The hero gave a knowing nod. "They do that."

You followed him, as he seemed to know where he was going to get the cat food, while you would just wander around, lost. He stopped a few aisles further and browsed the cat section, while you looked for a small pack or can, as you didn't expect the cat to be there for long.

"Lost cat?" Eraser repeated suddenly. "Not a stray? He had a collar?"

"Yep. White cat, named Max. Do you know someone who lost a cat like him?"

He looked up from his browsing, and you were quite shocked to see he had a spark of interest in his eyes. That was a rare sight. "That would be me."

"Well, what a coincidence. He wandered quite far then." You could tell he was quite happy to hear that Max was with you despite him fighting to keep his deadpan look. "You can come pick him up if he's there at my home again."

You could've sworn his lips turned upwards at the corner for a split second. Well, screw him for trying to keep his disinterested persona and keeping you wondering if he was genuinely happy to hear the news. You rolled your eyes.

"How many cats do you have?" you asked. Cats seemed to be the subject he enjoyed. What you heard faintly from Kayama to him back then at the hide and seek game would have made sense.

"Three including Max, but a lot of strays hang out by my place a lot."

You smiled at his soft tone. You waited as he selected his items, as you no longer needed anything knowing that the cat was Eraser's.

A few minutes later he checked out his items, and followed you to your own home. As expected, the white cat was there waiting at the door, grooming himself.

He perked up when he saw Eraser, standing up with a stretch and tail raised up, and rubbed his head against his leg.

"Looks like he's yours." You giggled. "How'd he get lost?"

"I accidentally left the door open when a villain emergency called." He said it somewhat sheepishly, but you saw a small smile as he crouched down to pet Max. "Thanks for finding him and feeding him."

"No problem." You smiled down at the two as Max sprawled out on his back, looking for tummy rubs. "I'm just glad he found his dad again," you joked. "It's cute."

Eraser glared at you regarding those comments as you smiled innocently back.

"What? It's hard enough as it is to see you showing emotions and caring for another living being." You crouched down as well to pet Max's head. He seemed to be having the best petting session of his life. "I think it's very obvious that you care about the students as much as you do."

He huffed. "I can say the same about you." This time his smile was more apparent. "Another reason I'm not giving you in. The students like you, too."

Your smile dropped into an unsure frown. "They wouldn't if they knew who I associated with."

"I know, and does it look like I care?"

"No, but it's not like you have a caring look normally."

Pause of silence.

"Fair enough," he grunted.

You laughed, the lightheartedness relaxing the mood. "Now, though, you do. Makes me wonder if you care more about cats than humans."

"Trust me, cats are much more manageable than those chaotic monsters."

"You love them all the same."

He didn't give any sign of agreement or disagreement, but instead stood up with a look of content, much like how Max looked when being pet. Now, the feline gave a disapproving look at his owner and you when the petting stopped.

"I'm heading back home to finish up some internship paperwork for the students and plan for their final exams." He picked up Max and held him comfortably in his arms. "Thanks again."

You nodded. "See you later."

You watched as he left, unaware of the grin forming on your face.

The students like you, too.