Chapter 39

It was 9:30 in the morning when the students started the first training session and it was almost 5:30 in the evening when they made it to their destination. You were pretty sure the Pussycats were joking when they said the students would make it for lunch now.

When they did make it for dinner, it did make them much more excited and gluttonous, you supposed. Their excitement made you smile, while Aizawa curled up against the wall in his sleeping bag attempting to get some sleep.

He somewhat worried you earlier, though, not knowing what he wanted or what to expect with him.

You crouched down next to him, seeing as he was still slightly awake, glaring at Bakugo because of a sudden noise he made. "Catching up on sleep?"

"If not now, when?" he muttered. "We wake up at 5:30 tomorrow morning."

"Sucks to need sleep," you said half-jokingly. He huffed, then zipped up his sleeping bag further.

"You should sleep as well."

"I'll try," you said hesitantly, knowing you were not. It was hot too; you had no idea how Aizawa was dealing with the heat in this sleeping bag.

"Hey," Mandalay interrupted your thoughts. "Since I can't use my Telepathy on you, you should stick with someone during the stay. Just in case you get lost or something. Ragdoll won't be able to find you either with her quirk."

"That's fine, sorry in advance if I become a lost kid," you said jokingly. "I'll try to find my way around if I actually do though. Don't want to cause any trouble."

You liked the Pussycats; Pixie-Bob was cheery and energetic; Mandalay was less so outwardly but still radiated the same enthusiasm. She had talked about Ragdoll and Tiger as well, and you looked forward to meeting them.

<•>

"I will be pushing you beyond your limits. So try not to kick the bucket on me." Aizawa gave the students his signature creepy grin.

The students groaned, having to wake up so early and now having to focus on their current task of upgrading their quirks.

"That's blunt," you murmured to him.

"You should know me by now."

"You're right." You chuckled. Many of them didn't really need your help, so you settled with working with Tiger and his combat training. It was a nice matchup for his strength training and your movement skills, though you specialized more in quirkless combat than his actual quirk combat. Before you could leave off to find something else that fit, or just supervise the kids, Midoriya interrupted you.

"Mx. [L/N]," he started. "Thanks for the pizza offer and everything. Sorry we didn't really get to it; I tend to attract a lot of unwanted villains." He looked down, chuckling a bit half-heartedly.

"That's fine. We can always come back to it another time." You shrugged again and nodded towards Tiger, who seemed to be looking at Midoriya... fiercely. "You should get to it!"

Startled, he hurriedly ran to the hero, ready for whatever was in store for him.

As you looked around at the students working hard upgrading their quirks, your lack of outward quirk effects made you feel a bit empty-handed. You needed something to do.

You looked back at Midoriya and his stiff stance in front of Tiger, then sighed with a smile. Might as well try to combine his strength training with your combat skills training.

<•>

Hours passed again, and you were feeling more and more tired again. It seemed that your hallucinations were returning, too. Unfortunately, it was not as come-and-go as you had thought.

Shadowy figures were at the corners of your eye and whispers were heard as if right next to your ear, but unlike those previous voices, they were unintelligible.

Thankfully, the smell of food quelled those hallucinations and tiredness. The students had made curry tonight by themselves, with a little help from you since you felt bad that the other heroes refused to help. You wanted to work with the students more anyway.

Not seeing Eraserhead anywhere, you headed towards the lodge after the curry was made. You found him working on paperwork under some low lighting, eyes as tired as yours, slouched over, and a pen in hand.

"Hey," you called. No response. You waved your hand in front of his face. "Aizawa?"

His eyes were only slightly lidded and not completely closed, and you realized he was asleep. You sighed. The papers were for the remedial class: Kaminari, Mina, Kirishima, Sato, and Sero.

You went out again to grab a plate of curry for the both of you, then returned. You shook him by the shoulder after setting the plates down. "Aizawa."

"Hm?" He lifted his head tiredly. "What do you want?"

"I'm pretty sure you haven't eaten yet, and you've been working since we got here. The only break was when the students arrived and you came out." You pointed at the plate of curry. "Eat."

He sighed, rubbing his temples. "Thanks."

He did not, however, eat. He stared back at you, as if waiting for you to leave.

You pursed your lips, not planning on leaving. Instead, you thought about his earlier words. You grabbed an extra chair and brought it over to the table, setting your plate of curry down.

"You wanted to talk about me and the students?"

"Yeah." He sat up a bit straighter, making eye contact with you. "What will you do if the students find out about you?"

"...I don't know," you said honestly. You looked down, unsure of yourself. "I'll see how they react first, I guess. If they don't trust me or want me here anymore, I'll leave."

He sighed. "I doubt the students would distrust you, much less hate you."

"The villain that's a brother to me tried to kill them! Hell, he tried to kill you!" Your emphasis on your words made you realize just how much your lack of sleep was influencing your mood. You clenched the chair's seat so hard your knuckles turned white.

"You could have finished me off when I was injured. But you didn't."

"That doesn't mean anything."

"It means you care," he said softly. "You cared about the students and me. And you care for your family."

"What are you getting at?"

"What I'm saying is, you care a lot. You're kind and forgiving, and I'm sure the students will accept you. They wouldn't want you to leave."

You hesitated on your words, frowning. "I'll see about that. If they ever do find out."

You took the papers on his desk, trying to change the tone and subject. You looked over them and added on to the lesson plan and additional notes he had for them.

"I'll be here." You took a spoonful of curry as you kept your eyes on the paper. "The curry'll get cold."

Aizawa huffed, too tired to stop you. "Fine." He took a bite of curry as well, with a bit of surprise in his expression.

"The students made it with some help from me," you said, seeing his expression. When you glanced over you saw a bit of a smile, and you did as well. "Hope you like it."

"It's alright."