Chapter 8

You hadn't inherited either of your parents' quirks. At first, it actually seemed like you were quirkless. It was somewhat expected by your parents, as only your mother had a quirk and your father was quirkless.

You didn't know when your quirk developed, either. No one had used a quirk on you or attacked you with one for a while, surprisingly. It was only when your parents decided to take you to the quirk doctor when you were six to make sure.

They had said that you did, based on your toe bones. However, you never found out what it was until you had arrived back home to your apartment.

A villain with a fire quirk had panicked and gone insane after almost being caught by the police right next door. They had set fire to the place, and while your parents were caught in it, you were able to get out just fine due to the quirk fire not affecting you.

And so, being five and not quite understanding what had happened until you got older, you managed to get by at your aunt's. She was rather indifferent to you, other than the occasional accusing glare and hatred when thinking about her sister and how you survived, but then sighing and knowing it was not your fault.

You didn't have survivor's guilt, but still felt guilty for your aunt. Her frequent mood swings made you spend more time outside rather than inside. That's when you met Tomura and Ethan and hung out with them much more often.

And it wasn't until that incident when she kicked you out completely for you to live on your own, which honestly, you didn't mind.

But that incident still haunted you.

The boy was around 9, and he was dying from poison. The villain who had attacked him had a grudge on the boy's family and decided to take it out on him. You saw the ugly green poison on his face infecting him like a virus. The villain saw you and tried to attack you as well.

Since you had been training yourself self defense with Aiko for a while now, you had been able to knock him out after he realized his poison quirk couldn't do anything to you. He wasn't the physical fighter type either.

You had taken out your phone to call 119, then rushed to the child to see if he was alright. He was in pain, but he managed to ask if he could use some of your energy to heal himself. He said he could heal someone by using another's energy, with their consent. You agreed, but that was when you regretted your quirk the most.

His quirk wouldn't work on you.

You couldn't help him.

You couldn't do anything.

You were basically.... Quirkless.

Of all things, of all situations, he had to have had that quirk and you had to be the one there. Why couldn't it have been something else?

You sat there with him in your arms as he begged for the pain to stop. You apologized over and over again. You tried to comfort him saying that help will come soon. You heard the sirens coming as you picked him up. But it was too late. They didn't come quick enough.

The poison was too strong for the young boy to handle.

Police came and arrested the villain, thanking you. But you didn't feel like you should be thanked. You watched the boy's limp body being carried into the ambulance, carrying hope that he'll live.

The next day it was on the news.

The poison villain caught thanks to you, a boy dead thanks to you. The last part about you wasn't mentioned, but you sure felt like it was there.

You visited the poison villain and the victim's parents. You regretted it. The reactions made your nightmares worse.

When your aunt saw this, she compared it to the situation with her sister, due to you surviving and leaving a victim behind, and got angry.

Thankfully, when you were kicked out, you were able to stay with Tomura and Ethan, even though they were barely getting by in their own situations. Eventually, though, since Sensei had helped Tomura early on, he took in you as well and the two of you got by with each other.

Tomura and Ethan's ideals about heroes were different from yours, but it seemed to rub off on you and you felt you needed to repay them anyway.

You wanted to help them. You didn't want to feel useless.

You didn't want to feel blamed.

You didn't want to feel like it was your fault for unfortunate events.

<•>

Tomura:
You alright?

Your eyes glanced over the screen and text once more, not quite believing it. The last text was a "brb" months ago when he was probably playing some game and then came back to you physically moments later.

You:
Yeah, imma head over in a few minutes

He had never texted you asking if you were alright, either, until now.

You:
You need something important?

Tomura:
No not really
Just thought you'd be here earlier
But it's fine, we're going to the doctor's place

You:
You want me to come over?

Tomura:
Yeah, if you can

It would take a while to get there in the slightly dazed state you were in.

You got up after a while, having calmed yourself down from the nightmare. You hated how weak you were, your mind still caught up on the situations that were not your fault.