Chapter 40

Day three of the trip went about the same as the second. The students continued to work on powering up their quirks, but this time they had an interclass activity to look forward to.

Mandalay has explained to you the specifics of the activity, offering you to follow along and help the students at the checkpoint if needed, but you were leaning more towards helping the remedial classes. You did not want to get lost in a forest without some sort of safety precaution guide in your head, despite what you had said earlier.

Plus, you were noticing yourself nodding off to sleep at times and that would not be good if you did that in the middle of the forest.

Aizawa had looked especially tired, so you wanted to get some weight off his shoulders, too. Not that you weren't sleep deprived as well, but you supposed you would be better off since you were used to it.

Once dinner was finished, with the students making meat and potato stew this time and Aizawa sitting in for it, the students headed off to the entrance of the forest for the test of courage to begin.

The class was looking forward to it, however five hearts were shattered when Aizawa announced for the remedial students to leave and follow him for a review class. You snickered as he used his capture weapon to drag them away.

"I'll be right behind you," you called to him. There was a path to follow to the building thankfully, so you wouldn't get lost. You stayed for a couple of minutes, wanting to know the pairings and see the first few pairs off first, wishing them luck on the 'haunted' forest activity.

Once the fifth pair, Tsuyu and Uraraka, left, you finally headed off for the remedial class. The silence was nice as well, you noticed. As you walked there were no complaining or angry children, just peaceful silence. It was still dark, making you even more drowsy, but it was nice. You yawned. You really needed to get some sleep soon, you told yourself. You had almost fallen over, with your eyes closed to enjoy the peace and quiet.

The silence was interrupted by a loud blast. You first assumed it was a hallucination, then assumed it was a student's quirk at first, but realized immediately after that thought that it couldn't have been it. There was smoke coming from the direction of the blast, and you were far from the activity path, about halfway to the building. It couldn't have been a student or hallucination, unless the smoke was also a hallucination.

You quickly climbed a tall tree—you had practiced your climbing skills earlier with Tsuyu—to try and see what went on, if anything.

You saw blue fire. Blue fire... you recognized that. Dabi? What was he doing here? How? No one else was supposed to know the location. Was this another villain attack?

The blast was not far from where the fire was and you immediately abandoned your journey to head towards the source.

Was Tomura here as well? Or Katsumi? You were panicking now, but despite the adrenaline, you were still tired and sleep-deprived. Your running was sluggish, and your thoughts were muddy. Why were you involved in these things again?

Another loud blast was heard, far from where you were heading. It must have been another villain. Worry came upon you as you thought about the students. You didn't know the numbers or skill level, but it can't be good with the positions of the students. At least none of them should be alone.

You were having second thoughts again. Was it two different powerful villains that made the blasts, or a powerful and really quick villain that made the blasts? It couldn't have been students, since they weren't authorized to use their quirks for offense at the moment. But then again, you weren't in the loop since Mandalay's quirk couldn't reach you.

Making up your mind, you headed towards the first blast. What was going on?

You reached a clearing where the blast originated from.

A Nomu.

A large, mashed-up, Frankenstein Nomu. It was unlike any other you've seen before.

Winged, muscled, bulging eyes that flashed right at you as soon as you came into vicinity. You froze up, cowering in fear despite your distance away from it. It could be right in front of you in a matter of seconds.