Chapter 35

You arrived at Anteiku the next day with a frown. You had texted Tomura yesterday and received no replies.

Rina seemed to notice your mood and attempted to cheer you up. She brought you a cup of coffee as you leaned against the counter. "What's up? Haven't slept in a while?"

You shook your head and put on a smile. "Well, that, and some other problems. I'm hoping it'll fix itself soon." You left it at that, and Rina didn't question further.

It was still early and before opening, so you helped get everything set up for the morning. It didn't take long, and soon you were just waiting for the minute hand to signal the opening hour. However, a few minutes before then, you saw a familiar blue-headed chameleon man at the door, waving at you.

You gestured for him to come in, and he hesitantly pulled open the door.

"Oh, I thought it was locked," he said sheepishly, pointing at the closed sign for his justification. You stifled a laugh.

"You need something?" As he walked over you turned to make him a coffee.

"Yeah, I wanted to let you know about something." His voice was lowered and he had a serious expression. He didn't add anything else, as if waiting or thinking.

You finished the cup, and just in time for Will to turn the closed sign to open. Customers rushed in for the morning hour and your coworkers—just you, Rina, and another worker today—got yourselves busy. Sliding the made cup to Ethan, you shrugged. "We can talk later. I don't want to leave all the work to them."

He nodded, his expression having a small frown. He passed you the money for the coffee and waited at the counter.

<•>

After the morning rush hour, only a few people remained, and those were the ones who stayed and kept to themselves after ordering something. Ethan was still there waiting.

"So, what's up?" you asked, finishing up cleaning the counter after a small spill. Rina was far away enough to not hear, checking on her phone and playing some game, probably. The other had left early and Will was most likely at the back organizing supplies.

He took a deep breath. "So you know how I'm a security guard now? I worked the night shift and I caught something the other night while going home. I thought you might want to know."

The unusual demeanor of Ethan made you worried. He was usually much more cheerful, even when things were serious.

"I saw Aiko and Miki talking about a missing Nomu and missing quirks," he explained. "Apparently Katsumi and Sensei had an argument and Katsumi's planning something. He's not telling the others this and it's worrying them."

That would match up with what Aiko has talked about the other day.

"They were waiting for Katsumi apparently, and he wasn't expecting them to be there when he arrived. He refused to tell them anything." Ethan not the bottom of his lips. "He's not getting along well with Aiko and Miki either."

"Where was this?"

"Esuha City. It's pretty far from our last hideout, but I'm not sure because they should have moved." He shrugged. "I had to leave before I ran out of breath. I think Miki might have noticed me but didn't say anything."

You remained silent for a while, and you could tell Ethan was also pondering on this and wondering what to do. Finally, he sighed and stood up. "Just thought I'd let you know. I'm not sure what, if anything, will happen, but anything to do with those Nomu can't be good."

"Thanks for letting me know," you murmured. You watched him finish his coffee and throw the cup out.

Before he turned to leave, a small smile reappeared on his face. "Sorry for throwing all this at you."

"It's fine." You waved him off as he left, then slumped down.

It was not. You didn't want to get involved in this again.

To help the heroes or say nothing. It would be betraying Tomura and the others if you told the heroes. And betraying the heroes if you didn't say anything.

What if you just told Eraserhead? The other heroes would blame you, but Eraserhead would be more logical and think of something better, right? Maybe you should just leave it be and let it unfold. You sighed, not knowing what was the better choice.