𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐮𝐦 𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐢 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐬 𝐞𝐬𝐭

s i x t h    y e a r

The hallways were empty when Adeline woke on the cold concrete floors. The only sound that followed was the heavy storm outside. 

She blinked, looking around the deserted area. Classes must still be in session, or else someone would have noticed her laying on the floor. 

Or she would have at least been woken by being trampled by her careless peers. 

Adeline had been in her rooms like how most of these encounters begin. She had a free study period and had decided to go to her rooms for some rest, her dream from the night before had kept her up until the early morning. 

Oddly enough watching the boy you grew up with mercilessly kill you wasn't something you could quickly recover from. 

So she'd fallen asleep almost as soon as her head had hit the pillow and woken up here. She mustn't have been asleep for long if the same period was still in session. 

Footsteps echoed through the concrete walls, the floor underneath Adeline's palms quivered from the quick, sharp steps. Flight trembled in Adeline's bones, moving her up from the floor and behind one of the alcoves by the windows. 

The steps grew nearer, tapping growing louder. 

It came as no surprise that it was Draco Malfoy who had readily walked by, looking back over his shoulder to inspect for anyone near but never laying his eyes on her. 

Adeline watched with scepticism as he stopped before a wall a few hundred metres ahead. The brick moved for him, folding in on itself to reveal a dark hallway. Draco entered and was quickly swallowed by the secrets of Hogwarts. 

Walking back to the Slytherin common room, Adeline wondered why Alexandre wanted to out Draco's visit to the Room of Requirement. 

Regrettably, Adeline was early for her Potions class. Which in perspective, is certainly better than being late, but it also leaves her standing on the edge of silence while few filter into the room. 

This would also be bearable if she could just sit at her desk in the back without too much of a worry as to those who surround her. 

However, the world is cruel and the fates do not favour the young Levier in the slightest. 

Upon entering the Potions classroom, there had only been two other students at their seats. Sitting in the Slytherin rows just ahead of Adeline's own table was Draco and Blaise. 

She had slipped into the classroom without even noticing they'd been there but as their hushed whispers noticeably grew angry, Adeline had begun to pay attention. 

It was something she would have immediately noticed at one point if it had not been for her body failing her as it does so often now. 

The pair didn't seem to even notice she was there, muttering and spitting at one another with no regard for who may be around. It was too quiet for Adeline to hear anything but the tension in their words, yet it had piqued her interest. 

Draco's back was to her, as it always is, but she could see his hands as he spoke. He gestured with annoyance, a silver glint catching her eye. She knew it was his family ring, motto inscribed into the silver. His other hand would have his father's Slytherin ring weighing down his being with too many expectations and scolded words. 

Despite the passing time, Adeline could still feel his hand in hers. 

Blaise looked over at her as if her thoughts were spoken aloud. His face morphed from one of annoyance to interest. It made her stomach drop. 

With mild alarm, Adeline watched as Blaise stood from his stool, muttered a dark 'you just watch me' to the other boy, and walk his way over to her. 

Her entire being tensed from his presence, the quiet trepidation and mere caution in his small smile was logded into her throat. 

"Adeline." He spoke softly, as if volume of his voice may scare her away like a trepid animal. 

Blaise leant against her desk in front of her, palms flat against the table. Despite this, she could still see Draco behind him, skin growing flushed with anger and his eyes never leaving hers. It made her spine tremble. 

"How are you?" Blaise asked. More people trickled in and Adeline didn't miss the way they all looked over at their interaction, equally as confused as she. It didn't seem to deter Blaise, which was more unnerving than anything else. 

"I thought I told you to stay away from me," Adeline spoke, she could still feel Draco's stare on her. She wasn't sure how she was able to look away from his piercing silver, but she knew she would have gotten lost in them too quickly, too noticeably. 

"I just want to make sure you're okay." Blaise still didn't look unsure of himself. "After everything that happened." 

Adeline didn't say anything. 

"I meant what I said. They do not treat you kindly." Blaise spoke quietly as if his words were only meant for her. The sincerity in his stare had Adeline's hair stand on the back of her neck. "I just want you to know that...you aren't completely alone." 

A loud screech vibrated through the room, clawing at everyone's skin and scratching against their bones. A streak of blonde passed them quickly and left the room. 

Draco parted with a spitting of profanities at Blaise and a dark look directed their way. 

It comes as no surprise that he hates her so much that the mere thought of his friend speaking with her would send him into a rage. 

Slughorn entered the room before Blaise could say anymore and Adeline was spared any further lies and false sincerity.