𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐦 𝐝𝐞𝐮𝐬 𝐯𝐮𝐥𝐭 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐞, 𝐝𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐭 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐮𝐬

f o u r t h   y e a r 

The Dark Lord will be returning to us. 

Candlelit dinners and small secrets worth destruction. 

The Dark Lord will be returning to us. 

Dreadful expectations that wither and wilt her away, fill her with polished rage and delicate danger. Adeline spent her summer with her parents, no childhood spared in the name of their cause. 

It was rather cold in her home. Pushed into the family name of greed and fragile ego. She had something everyone wanted, a power that needed to be tapped into, a piece of her that they wanted to mold and use for themselves. 

After Adeline had return from the school year, her parents had known what had happened. She'd been punished accordingly. 

She hadn't been allowed to heal her wounds, instead her parents trapped her in her rooms until her bruises yellowed and her wounds scabbed over. 

The first meeting she had attended, the only injury left on her body had been internal. 

The Dark Lord is coming. 

Elias and Lillian made quick use of secrets spilt. They revel in the power, the fear of those who had heard their truth. Oddly enough, Adeline's mistake had worked in their favour. 

Everyone is terrified of the Levier's now, thanks to their daughter, and just in time too. 

He's coming and he wants you by his side. 

There's a boy laying dead in front of her. He has a kind, young face. His hair looks soft and washed, his body untouched by pain or brutality. 

His eyes stare at the blue sky as he lays in a field of green and yellow. He doesn't look dead but Adeline knows he is. There's a dark cloak, a whisper of mortality that she's come to understand. A spirit of the underworld. It flickers not too far from them. 

Adeline knows this boy, she's not sure how or why but his eyes feel all too familiar. 

When she wakes, she barely remembers his face at all. 

The train ride is different this year. Everyone stares without shame, they move so not to touch, they don't dare to look her in the eye. Her parents don't make an appearance, didn't have the time, but it needn't make a difference. 

Heavy the head of the one who wears the family name. 

Nobody wants her, they all fear her. Perhaps this'll make things easier this year. 

Adeline sits with Ari and talks briefly about his summer. He doesn't offer much and it's clear he's avoiding certain topics, stopping at certain stories, never wanting to make it so obvious that all her friends had spent most their summer together. 

Ari doesn't ask her about her time away from Hogwarts and she doesn't bother telling him. It's not like she could even say much anyway. 

They spend the rest of the train ride in relative silence. 

When departing the train, most of the car is empty, yet she still manages to bump into someone without even noticing. Perhaps she had expected them to move before she even realised they'd been there in the first place. 

Adeline hadn't seen Draco since last semester, not once had he shown up to the secret dinners and terrible meetings. It had been oddly comforting never seeing his face there. 

They hadn't spoken since their argument. She does't like thinking about it, despite her mind never allowing it to leave her alone.

Black material wraps around his body, hair soft, the lines of his face harder than she'd ever seen. He was beautiful. 

"Why are you wearing a suit? You look ridiculous." Adeline frowns, annoyance prickling her skin rapidly. She had planned on avoiding him for the rest of her life, yet the comment slipped out. 

"Watch where you're going, Levier." Draco scowled, straightening up as he takes a step away from her. His angry gaze follows her from head to toe, surveying the changes in her appearance at the passing months. "I didn't think the new big, bad wizard of our world would be so inept." 

Adeline rolls her eyes but can't help the smug amusement smirk her face. "Careful there, Malfoy. Don't let daddy dearest hear you talk to your future betrothed that way." 

She didn't flinch at her own words, a sick mirth settles upon her. A terrible fate they may face, one that they'll both probably attempt to stop. It hadn't been mentioned properly since that night in the forest, but Adeline had tested the limits with it during their last conversation. 

Turns out she can hold a grudge. 

There's a streak of surprise in Draco's gaze but it's hidden with newfound anger. He takes a step forward, never one for personal space lately. 

Go on, kiss me again. 

"Stay the fuck out of my way." Draco spits, his mouth in a pretty snarl and his eyes the colour of murder. 

Adeline smiles, sweet and bored. "Gladly, baby."

Draco stalks away, never escaping rage has his fists balled and his breathing heavy. Adeline sighs, pretty resentment filling her lungs. 

It really is such a shame the way her heart will beat for him forever. 

Such a terrible inconvenience she's so in love with him.