𝐄𝐭 𝐭𝐮, 𝐁𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐞?

s i x t h   y e a r

s i x t h   y e a r

The drag of Adeline's drawers was getting on her nerves. They'd done it for years, even back in First Year. They'd always annoyed her but as she packed a small bag, opening the storage unit to get out choice clothing, the sound grated against her skin.

Adeline only packed what she thought necessary, the few things she wouldn't leave behind. It wasn't much, but as Adeline looked around she understood she wouldn't be returning to this room she'd grown up in; not to her dorm, the common room she had scarcely avoided for years, not to Hogwarts at all.

With a small bag packed, Adeline gathered her schoolbooks for Transfiguration. She couldn't very well walk right out of school while classes were still on, so she'd go to McGonagall's class to kill time. It was the day after her phone call with Alexandre and she planned to leave at midnight tomorrow night. She was just waiting for a few things to sort themselves out outside the walls of Hogwarts and then she'd be ready to go.

Adeline had a plan, a semi-decent one that she'd thrown together which more or less consisted of finding her brother and stabbing him in the neck – but it was a plan, nonetheless.

She felt a little antsy, her newfound purpose bubbling against her skin.

McGonagall didn't talk much during the lesson, dividing the class up into groups to practice the spells on the chalkboard. Adeline barely paid attention to anything else but the clock on the wall. She was partnered with some meek Ravenclaw that didn't talk.

After class, Adeline was the first out the door. People looked on and parted the way for her, but she couldn't be bothered sparing them a glance. She was ahead of the crowd when suddenly she was pulled into an empty classroom.

A huff left her pink lips when she saw Draco standing in front of her, arms crossed and worry on his brow.

"Oh," She sighed. "It's you."

Draco looked exasperated already. He was standing in front of the teacher's desk, rigid and on edge. Adeline found a seat on one of the desks at the front row, her hands leaning on the wood next to her legs.

"What do you want?" she mused, lips quirking in amusement. "If you're looking for a quick classroom rendezvous, I suggest finding your raven-haired lapdog instead."

"Would you just shut up," Draco muttered, arms uncrossing and hands shoving deeply into his pockets. "Listen, you need to leave. Tonight. Like right now, preferably."

"If you're so hasty to be rid of me, why don't you go and find a sharp object to stick into my back," Adeline suggested. "Or better yet, whip out your wand and see what kind of harm you can do with that."

Adeline smiled pleasantly and Draco ignored her suggestive stare, growing more agitated.

"They're coming tonight, Adeline. For you, for everyone." Draco insisted. "You need to leave. Go somewhere no one knows you, lay low for a bit."