𝐝𝐚𝐦𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨 𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐞

s i x t h     y e a r

The snow falls with grace, collecting itself on the school grounds and becoming a compact landing for the boots of students. 

It's the weekend and seniors are allowed to leave the grounds if they wish. Adeline decides to join those who go, always staying a safe distance away. It takes her too long to arrive at Hogsmeade, her body a shell of the strength she once had. 

She's tired and cold, she finds refuge in the closest store. The Three Broomsticks in isn't so busy, but a few familiar faces spread through the inn. Harry Potter and his friends watch as she enters, shuffling in without a spark of life and sitting down in the corner booth. Far away from everyone. 

People whisper. Adeline ignores it. 

She's grown accustomed to the unheard words of those around her. It doesn't penetrate her skin the way it once had. 

A waiter comes over and Adeline orders a warm drink, her brittle bones shivering too much for her comfort. Time passes and she's barely taking any of it in. It's become exhausting to be so responsive to the world, she just wants a break. She just wants it all to end. 

Adeline is barely living. Barely existing at all. 

It'll be nice when it's all over. 

The inn door opens and a gush of wind strikes the air as someone enters. Adeline pulls her jumpers around herself tighter, wishing to be warm. 

She knows she could have just stayed in her rooms or by the fire in the common room but she thought it best if she were to take a little break from Hogwarts, even if for a few days. The fresh air was needed, some space from all the heartache that hangs in those halls. 

A violent urge to look around the room takes her over, her fingers tapping against the wooden table as she examines her surroundings. Adeline isn't sure why but something tells her to look up. 

Harry Potter is watching the Weasley girl, clearly obsessed with redheads, Ron and Hermione are staring at each other for far too long to be just friends, Professor Slughorn is drunkenly cheering with a small group of people, Leanne Vane is coming out the bathroom, Dean Thomas is heading  in the direction that Potter wants to be, and Katie Bell is sitting at a table waiting for her friends to return with a box in front of her. She's looking at it with a distant look in her eyes and as if she feels Adeline's stare, she looks up. For a moment, there seems to be determination in her eyes before she is overcome with the familiar look of disgust and rolls her eyes at her. 

To be expected. 

There isn't anything special going on, just a whole lot of nothing that Adeline gets to miss out on. 

Someone comes down the stares, a streak of silver and darkness. If her heart could beat its way home, she imagined it would lead her to him. 

Draco knows she's there, Adeline can see it in the way he holds himself. His eyes find hers in a flash, brief and lifeless. He looks so empty. She could remember looking into those same eyes and being faced with rage, with fire and arrogance, and just life

It appears with passing time, many people die but those who are left behind to live in a world without them are only the shells of what existence could be. 

Katie Bell has been poisoned

It had happened at the inn and Adeline had been there, so it's only fair that she's blamed for it. Leanne had named her as the culprit and she'd been dragged to the Headmaster's office while Professors' demanded answers. 

All Adeline knew was she was tired, had very limited energy for games such as these. She can't imagine someone was trying to set her up, although it wouldn't be hard. Every bad thing around here gets blamed on her. 

Adeline likes to think her peers would be a little more creative than a little poison in such a public place. 

"I came back from the bathroom and she was holding it. Said it was a surprise for someone at Hogwarts and she had to deliver it. She looked all funny when she said it, cursed and I hadn't even noticed. That Levier bitch was there! I saw her! It could only be her." Leanne told them. 

Well, surprise. At a shocking turn of events, Adeline did not try to poison Katie Bell with a cursed blue pendant necklace. Even if her peers aren't creative, she'd try a little harder than that. 

Besides what good is that for Adeline? Great, another dead student on her hands. 

It all seems a little counterproductive. 

Oddly enough, it's Hermione Granger who is her saving grace. Made sure Dumbledore knew they'd all seen Adeline go into Three Broomsticks, order a drink and sit there for an hour looking like a corpse. 

Kind lot they are. 

Either way, Adeline is free to go and free of any possible implications of someone else's crime. Doesn't stop everyone thinking it's her, though. Which is super bearable. 

Why didn't you try and kill her? Spice things up a bit. You'd at least have fun with it, have a bit of spark to you. 

Would you shut up?

Oh, come on. You're acting like this is the salem witch trials. Turns out, you can get away with quite a bit around here. 

You can. 

My dear, we can.

Just shut up, for once in your little miserable afterlife. 

Someone's a little fiery today.  Up for something fun? 

She sees Blaise when she turns into the Slytherin common room and has zero desire to interact with him ever again. 

Come on. Let that inner Jezebel out, the ultimate bible bad girl.

Blaise is in front of her, asking her questions quietly, letting her know he's there for her. He's asking her if she wants to go for a walk, to head out for some fresh air. 

Maybe it's because she wants Alexandre to shut up, maybe it's because she makes poor choices, either way she says yes. She goes with him. 

They walk out into the setting sun, the air cool against Adeline's fingers, her face. They walk in silence, which is fine by Adeline because she can barely catch up with her actions, let alone her words. 

She just wanted his voice to go away for a while. 

Maybe that voice is still controlling her, she just doesn't know. 

Blaise kisses her and she lets him. Lets him tell her that he's not afraid of her, that he won't hurt her, that she isn't alone. Adeline lets him say whatever he thinks he needs to and pushes her cold, lifeless lips into his warm, accountable ones. 

She doesn't think much of it, doesn't care for it. 

She just wanted his voice to go away for a little bit.