𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐮𝐬 𝐦𝐞 𝐢𝐧𝐯𝐢𝐭𝐨 𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐮𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐧 𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐦𝐞𝐮𝐬 𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐮𝐬

f o u r t h    y e a r

There's a fire within Adeline's skin. She feels it everyday, growing hotter, burning those who stand too close. It never used to feel so strong, like an undercurrent to who she is. She never used to feel like a taunt rope on the precipice of snapping.

Adeline had once been patient and kind. Now she feels her rage spilling out of her every pore, anything sets her off. Anything can make her succumb to this empty, violent bitterness.

She keeps waiting for the day she'll wake up and it'll be gone just as it had arrived, but the day never comes and she's starting to scorch those around her.

Honey and Ryland try. They try everyday and everyday Adeline pushes them further. She hadn't even realised she'd been doing it at first; the snapping, the snarky comments and unkind words masked as constructive criticism.

"Just trying to help." She'll say; always passive, always uncalled for.

Even when Adeline realised what she'd been doing, she hadn't stopped. Still they stay, they don't waver in their friendship. Not yet.

Ari and Amethyst haven't spoken to her in weeks. It could be blamed on the fear of the family name but Adeline knows they've just tired of her; the mood swings, the secrets, the anger. In hindsight, she doesn't blame them but as it happens there's a new item added to a list of resentment.

She'd been getting into too many incidents, too many problems caused by her own hand. Where Adeline once had been able to endure the words of others, to bite her tongue and mind her business, she cannot seem to grasp onto such talents any further. It needn't matter the world of magic they reside, for Adeline took it upon herself to use her rage to win her battles.

When Hayley Fauns and a group of her Ravenclaw friends called her a psycho slut the day one of the Weasley twins spoke to her for five minutes, just because Hayley had quite the apparent thing for one of them, Adeline had launched. She had clawed out a clump of Fauns' hair.

When the Gryffindor boys starting hitting on her and she had declined, they'd called her easy, asked why they weren't good enough for her low standards, she'd bruised and bloody knuckles and her own broken nose.

When Pansy Parkinson so much as breathed in her direction, Adeline had lost it. She'd yelled and cussed and brought them both down in the middle of the dining hall during a spare period. Pansy had fought back at least, hadn't been all talk, even managed to wound Adeline pretty bad.

It'd been Dean who pulled her off Pansy, followed by Ryland and Honey. Dean had picked her up by the waist and wouldn't let her down until she stopped thrashing in his arms. Ryland had checked on Pansy, who lay bloody on the floor and was being picked up by some Slytherins. Honey had been touching Adeline's face, checking her wounds when Dean finally put her down. Adeline had hit her attempts at comfort away.