𝐢𝐫𝐚 𝐝𝐞𝐨𝐫𝐮𝐦

f o u r t h    y e a r

Adeline never did go home that summer. She couldn't recall if she'd left something behind in her rooms or if she'll miss the refines of her childhood home. Her entire life fit inside a trunk that she had kept in her door during the school year and most of it consisted of school supplies. Adeline packed up the few things she would need and headed to Arthur's. She would be returning for fifth year after summer, so her luggage was scarce. The suede green pouch stay sitting in her bedside table.

The trunk that her mother had sent her for the ball was ordered to be shipped back, with everything included inside. Adeline hoped that message would be clear enough for her parents. She would not ever be returning to them again. Adeline feared she would be putting her uncle in danger by living with him but he had assured her countless times that his house was safe.

"There's a reason no one has bothered me here. I cannot be found."

Apparently he'd spelled the house into hiding long ago. Powerful blood magic had its charms, she supposed.

Sirius lived in London, in a house that belongs to the Black estate, but he would often visit by a week's end. Adeline wondered if she would ever return to her own home, after years had passed and trouble no longer resided there. As soon as the thought arrived Adeline knew it to be wishful thinking; that she would even have the choice to return.

She keeps waiting for the day her parents snatch her up and drag her back home. It kept her awake at night, when she wasn't occupied with sneaking out to go see Ryland. When she sees him, she mutters her fears to him under the stars.

"I fear my parents will come for me soon." She would say.

Ryland would intertwine their finger and pull her closer.

"I'll protect you." he would whisper into her hair, placing a kiss where the words were uttered.

It was sweet but rather arrogant. When her parents come there would be nothing for Ryland to do but run. She didn't tell him this, of course, she let him have the comfort of his own ignorance.

Later in the night when she returned back to her room, the fear would still eat away at her.

It's not that Arthur cared she had a boyfriend, more he doesn't wish for her to be kidnapped and forced to live her life as the Dark Lord's slave. To be fair, Adeline understood where he was coming from. Nonetheless, she felt for once in her life an itch of happiness and she didn't wish for fear to keep it from her.

So while she was alone, Adeline would allow herself a healthy dose of reality that followed her into nightmares before she pushed it away and allowed herself to be a normal teenage girl every other night.

After a few weeks into the summer, Adeline's fear began to ease. Whatever spell Arthur had put on the house obviously worked. Still, he wouldn't allow her to practice powerful magic - with or without her wand. She was working on summoning lumos within her palms but that was all Arthur would approve of. He didn't want her magic to be used as a beacon for others to find her.