𝐯𝐮𝐥𝐩𝐞𝐬 𝐩𝐢𝐥𝐮𝐦 𝐦𝐮𝐭𝐚𝐭, 𝐧𝐨𝐧 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐬

b e f o r e

b e f o r e

They checked into a dingy tavern with rooms above the bar. It was wooden and dark, and unsavoury patrons leered at them as they moved to the front desk – which was also the same place you ordered your food and commanded another drink. A woman was behind the counter, wearing an old red jumper and a brown t-shirt with a dirty stain on it. Her black hair had streaks of grey in it and there was noticeable grime in her wrinkled skin. Her eyes were grey and dull as she looked between them with poorly hidden contempt.

"Two rooms please," Adeline spoke, her hands resting on the counter between them.

It took a while for the woman's mouth to move from her scowl so she could speak, her voice deep and biting. "One room per customer."

Adeline made a face. "That's ridiculous."

"It's the rules, girly." The woman looked smug as if she was besting for the poor. Adeline knew they didn't fit in, even with the clothes they were in. Their upbringing was glaringly obvious in the way they held themselves, in the lift of their chins, the shine of their skin and the whiteness of their teeth.

"We're separate customers." She tried, flitting her eyes over the rest of the room. Everyone was staring at them. She knew no one really knew what she looked like since they hadn't seen much of her over the years. They all knew who she was and what she did, but they'd have to take a long look to place her face. Draco on the other hand, everyone recognised the famous white hair of the Malfoys.

"No, you're not." The woman's voice was gruff and harsh. Adeline knew they could go somewhere else, but they didn't want to head further into town, which is why they chose the outskirts in the first place.

"Fine," she gritted out. "One room with two beds, please."

The woman smiled at her in a malicious and sarcastic way, her eyes squinting in an unflattering way.

"Only one bed for couples, sweat pea."

Adeline could feel her hands twitch on the counter, her patience thinning.

"We're not a couple, and we would like two beds." She hadn't even realised she was gripping her hands together tightly until Draco touched a hand to her arm, gentle and grounding. He stepped closer to the counter and the horrible woman eyed him with keen interest and hunger.

"Do you not have anything else?" He tried, smiling at the woman.

"Nope, we're all booked out." She popped the p as if it were charming. There were hardly any patrons in the room. Then she turned to Adeline, scowling again. "What's the matter girly, don't want to share a bed with your handsome friend?" She smiled, showing dirty yellow teeth. "He can bunk with me if it's such a problem."

Adeline scowled at her, the day wearing her thin. "One room will be just fine." She practically snarled, putting down a hundred-dollar bill on the counter and snatching the keys from the woman as she held it out to Draco.